AVIC411.com

Smartphone setup

Hi All,

Quick query regarding aha radio.

I haven't got my unit (15th of May is the install date!) but was wondering if you need the hdmi and digital av adapter for aha radio to work, or whether it just works through standard USB lightning cable?

I've got an iphone 5s and am getting the 8000nex ( or rather the F60DAB as it's known in Europe).

Cheers

Mark

You only need the lightning cable for pandora and aha radio

I have been playing around with settings and hook ups on my 4000nex, i believe it works the same as your aviv head units. I have iPhone 5s hooked up via apple av adapter. Now using the av adapter, hdmi goes to head unit, lightning to usb cable goes to usb1. Now you have to understand usb1 in this setup only is used to charge the phone, not read anything from the phone, hence the error message not a compatible device or something in that order. So I disconnected the lightning to usb cable from usb1 and hooked up straight to car charger not to head unit. then checked to see if all worked, app radio connected, bluetooth calls worked, etc. so i plugged in 16 gig thumbnail drive in usb1, 80gb intel ssd into usb2, 32 gb sd card in sd slot, Everything works, app mode uses bluetooth and hdmi, so when using app radio, and a call comes in, app radio is disconnected and call is answered, app radio has to be restarted. I read that the head units support up to 32 gb sd card, and you can use hard drive from computer as long as it does not need to much juice to run it. Now the 2.5 solid state drives, do not have the same draw as a rotating disc hard drive, so you can get ssd to usb adapter and it works great. I do not know the limit on size of hard drive, but my 80 gb works flawlessly. I have music, ripped dvds, and pics available. I have 2007 Chevrolet 2500hd crew cab, and installed everything myself, head unit, steering wheel controls, chime mechanism and parking brake bypass, 11" headrest screens, all new speakers in 4 doors and added sub and amp. Everything works flawlessly. I also installed the wifi elm327 code reader for app radio Dash Command, so i have access to all my engine functions showing up on my head unit, while my 2 and 3 year old girls watch their favorite movie in the back seat. I know the new firmware due in the next month or so from pioneer will enable apple play, which will be another awesome option. Ya gotta love technology. And I am 60 years old. Go Figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my F60DAB (8000NEX) installed today.

Love it.

One issue though which I am assuming is either a dodgy extension lead (or the connection had fallen out the back), but USB 1 does not seem to work at all. It doesn't charge either my iphone 5s or my old 3GS (using as an iPod) and doesn't show any connection on the unit it at all. Both phones work fine through USB2 (but I can't get aha to work through USB 2). Initially the guy who installed it said USB1 was just for android but after re-reading these posts I think that sounds like nonsense and now I have played round with it I think that there must be a connection issue.

My question is - is there any other reason why USB 1 wouldn't be working at all? I have an hdmi cable installed as well but I'm not connecting it to anything just yet - that shouldn't affect USB1 should it?

Thoughts gratefully received!

Cheers

Mark

Got my F60DAB (8000NEX) installed today.

Love it.

One issue though which I am assuming is either a dodgy extension lead (or the connection had fallen out the back), but USB 1 does not seem to work at all. It doesn't charge either my iphone 5s or my old 3GS (using as an iPod) and doesn't show any connection on the unit it at all. Both phones work fine through USB2 (but I can't get aha to work through USB 2). Initially the guy who installed it said USB1 was just for android but after re-reading these posts I think that sounds like nonsense and now I have played round with it I think that there must be a connection issue.

My question is - is there any other reason why USB 1 wouldn't be working at all? I have an hdmi cable installed as well but I'm not connecting it to anything just yet - that shouldn't affect USB1 should it?

Thoughts gratefully received!

Cheers

Mark

Sounds to me like a bad cable or a bad connection.

use an original apple charge cable. if your using a a cheap cable its not going to recognize. USB1 is used for iphones and ipods and usb2 for android devices

Thanks Mikemaan and Drenyce

Yes, absolutely using apple cables that plug into the extension cables that are supplied with the unit.

When you say USB 2 is for android devices, assume you mean to get the aha service etc. I should still be able to plug an iPod in (as I am) and play music through it.

I had aimed to have my 5s plugged into USB1 where I could make use of aha the my old iPhone 3GS into USB 2 to use as an iPod. That setup isn't unreasonable is it?

Thanks again.

Not that anyone will be as relieved as me, or even interested, but turned out the extension cable in USB1 was just not connected properly - as predicted.

Love this unit. Wife is starting to get a bit jealous.

Something unexpected (to me at least) happened today as well - bluetooth music streaming kicked in from my phone in my pocket (despite smartphone being set to USB). Happened after my wife unplugged her phone from USB2.

Tremendous. Anyway - thanks for previous replies!