AVIC411.com

Smartphone setup

Ok this is where a lot of us are disappointed and confused so I'll try to some it up easily.

There are 2 USB ports on the rear of the nex 8000, that's great, the downfall starts here.

In the settings under smartphone set up you must choose one of the following CONNECTION types

Digital a/v adapter

Bluetooth

USB

If you choose digital adapter the following scenarios happen.

App mode works fine

Using the car audio app will see the music on your phone.

Pandora and aha work fine

The bad

Bluetooth music will not work

The unit will not work for a 2nd iPod connected to the 2nd port it gets disconnected

You must use HDMI selection to play music from your phone,

clicking usb1 will tell you incompatible device

Choosing Bluetooth

Streaming pandora works fine as well as aha or any other music from your phone.

App mode does not work

USB 2 does not recognize iPod 2

USB is not seen either

Choosing USB

Allows both USB ports to be utilized for iPods

You must disconnect your apple digital av adapter and connect your phone directly USB in order to use pandora

App mode does not work

Here's the kicker, no matter which setting you chose, your phone will still be able to utilize Bluetooth to send and receive calls.

What they need to do is write drivers, and have connection settings for each USB port because whatever selection you choose effects both ports.

My setup

Nex8000

iPhone 5s

Pny 32gig sdcard filled with music

iPod 30'gig classic

I hope this helps some of you, I love the unit even with the downfalls that I think firmware upgrade could fix.

Thank you for the info, It has helped answer some of my own curiosities. Though I have the 6000nex it sounds about right. I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z-71. INstalled by a dealer. Still getting usd to it but it's still a major upgrade to what was factory. Hopefully it is just in need of a firmware update fix.

Ok this is where a lot of us are disappointed and confused so I'll try to some it up easily.

There are 2 USB ports on the rear of the nex 8000, that's great, the downfall starts here.

In the settings under smartphone set up you must choose one of the following CONNECTION types

Digital a/v adapter

Bluetooth

USB

If you choose digital adapter the following scenarios happen.

App mode works fine

Using the car audio app will see the music on your phone.

Pandora and aha work fine

The bad

Bluetooth music will not work

The unit will not work for a 2nd iPod connected to the 2nd port it gets disconnected

You must use HDMI selection to play music from your phone,

clicking usb1 will tell you incompatible device

Choosing Bluetooth

Streaming pandora works fine as well as aha or any other music from your phone.

App mode does not work

USB 2 does not recognize iPod 2

USB is not seen either

Choosing USB

Allows both USB ports to be utilized for iPods

You must disconnect USB 1 and 2 to be able to play Bluetooth music or pandora

App mode does not work

Here's the kicker, no matter which setting you chose, your phone will still be able to utilize Bluetooth to send and receive calls.

What they need to do is write drivers, and have connection settings for each USB port because whatever selection you choose effects both ports.

My setup

Nex8000

iPhone 5s

Pny 32gig sdcard filled with music

iPod 30'gig classic

I hope this helps some of you, I love the unit even with the downfalls that I think firmware upgrade could fix.

Sounds about right....

Your statement "You must disconnect USB 1 and 2 to be able to play Bluetooth music or pandora" is not correct. I have a 32GB USB drive dedicated with movies and some music and I can play bluetooth music fine via Pandora.

In USB mode, it tells me to disconnect cables when I try to play pandora, I just tried it again, I have an iPod connected to USB 2, I'll have to try it wit a thumb drive to see if mine will do the same as yours.

In USB mode, i definitely cannot keep iPod 2 connected when I try to play pandora, I however can play music stored on my phone.

I get the message to disconnect the cables. Once I disconnect iPod 2 It allows me to stream pandora just fine.

I may need some clarification if I am not reading this correctly.  If I pair my phone, and only want to use BT on my iPhone for phone calls, I will not be able to use my iPod that is connected to a USB?  If that is the case, that has to be the dumbest setup, and non forward thinking by Pioneer engineers.  However, if BT for phone calls only does not hinder the use of a connected iPod, then not having Pandora streaming does not bother me, as majority of the time I only play music from my iPod.

I may need some clarification if I am not reading this correctly.  If I pair my phone, and only want to use BT on my iPhone for phone calls, I will not be able to use my iPod that is connected to a USB?  If that is the case, that has to be the dumbest setup, and non forward thinking by Pioneer engineers.  However, if BT for phone calls only does not hinder the use of a connected iPod, then not having Pandora streaming does not bother me, as majority of the time I only play music from my iPod.

If you chose USB mode,

You can have usb2 working with an iPod as well as send and receive calls through Bluetooth with your phone it will work that way.

In my tests you can not play Pandora until you disconnect the iPod if you have chosen USB As your connection in the SMARTPHONE setup.

Sounds about right....

Your statement "You must disconnect USB 1 and 2 to be able to play Bluetooth music or pandora" is not correct. I have a 32GB USB drive dedicated with movies and some music and I can play bluetooth music fine via Pandora.

I don't have anything in USB 2. I have a USB connected to USB1 that contains movies/music/pictures and I can play through BT without having to disconnect. This may be the case if you're utilizing USB2.

Ok so I tried something different,

If you have your iPhone connected to USB 1 through the apple hdmi/lightning adapter and an iPod on USB 2 with USB selected as your connection type you can not play pandora

I connected my phone USB 1 with just the lightning connector and iPod to USB2 and all is well I can play pandora and keep the iPod connected as well.

Goodbye to the lightning hdmi adapter it's just a headache. I guess I'll only use it when I need it for other features.

I edited the original post

Very sorry for the confusion

Ok so I tried something different,

If you have your iPhone connected to USB 1 through the apple hdmi/lightning adapter and an iPod on USB 2 with USB selected as your connection type you can not play pandora

I connected my phone USB 1 with just the lightning connector and iPod to USB2 and all is well I can play pandora and keep the iPod connected as well.

Goodbye to the lightning hdmi adapter it's just a headache. I guess I'll only use it when I need it for other features.

I edited the original post

Very sorry for the confusion

No reason to be sorry...still some bugs needed to be worked out.

If you chose USB mode,

You can have usb2 working with an iPod as well as send and receive calls through Bluetooth with your phone it will work that way.

In my tests you can not play Pandora until you disconnect the iPod if you have chosen USB As your connection in the SMARTPHONE setup.

Thanks for the answer, as that would have been my only deal breaker.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using an android phone and this is how I set it up. Hdmi cable and USB cable connected to USB port 2. Ran both of those to a samsung mhl adapter. Connect the phone to the radio via Bluetooth, launch pioneer app radio on phone next, then plug mhl adapter into phone. Access to aha,pandora, and other apps accessible. I lose by audio streaming for music files, but the app icon allows me to access them anyway. Making and receiving calls not a problem.

Hi All,

Quick query regarding aha radio.

I haven't got my unit (15th of May is the install date!) but was wondering if you need the hdmi and digital av adapter for aha radio to work, or whether it just works through standard USB lightning cable?

I've got an iphone 5s and am getting the 8000nex ( or rather the F60DAB as it's known in Europe).

Cheers

Mark