AVIC411.com

Power Support iPad Anti-glare Screen Protector on AVIC-8000

Almost didn't want to post these because now I realize just how filthy my dash and windshield are after looking at the pictures.  Kind of embarrassing.  But I think the pics give you a good idea what this anti-glare screen protector does.

Recommended on another thread was the Power Support iPad mini anti-glare screen which I bought from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AARSPGE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, the screen is not the right size, so I had to trim it to fit the AVIC.

Generally, I am pleased with the result.   It does reduce slightly the brilliance of the screen, but it's still pretty darn bright.   You can see from the angle shots that no matter what, when you have direct sunlight hitting the screen, viewing at an angle is washed out.  It's the straight on viewing angle in these pics where you can really tell a difference.   What I was noticing before was reflection from the seats and other objects within the truck.   The screen protector seems to have really cut that down.   You can see difference in the 3rd and 4th photos.

post-115460-0-59711800-1397321424_thumb.jpg

post-115460-0-03218200-1397321442_thumb.jpg

post-115460-0-92507300-1397321464_thumb.jpg

post-115460-0-11299400-1397321493_thumb.jpg

LOL!!! So how much did you have to trim is the question? Did you have to cut diagonally and vertically, or just one?

That was definitely a bit of a challenge.   I pretty much could only use one edge of the screen protector because it is pre-cut to fit an iPad which has rounded corners and the AVIC has sharp 90 degree corners.   I took a piece of copier paper, lined up one corner and then used a pencil to carefully trace the other two sides.   Then i taped it to a piece of thin cardboard, used a heavy metal ruler as a straight edge, and cut a cardboard template using the paper as a guide with a  razor blade.   Finally, once I installed it on the screen, part of the lower left side overlapped a few millimeters.   So I VERY carefully trimmed it with the razor blade while it was affixed to the unit.  There's actually a very thin groove between the edge of the device and the actual screen that the blade fit right into and made a nice clean cut.   

After driving around with it, I have grown to really like it.  No question, the glare and reflections are much less of a distraction now.  The film also really resists finger prints.   It was the rapid accumulation of finger prints that started to annoy me.   I will have to be honest though, while it looks great and is still very bright, it does dull that shiny iPhone looking screen a bit which is just plain gorgeous to look at, as long as you don't have glare and tons of finger prints.   

On balance, I like it, and it was definitely an improvement driving around town today.

I don't think any accurate measuring is necessary to make a cut out for the screen of the 8000NEX....just some basic trigonometry...

Our hypotenuse is 7", and we know that the aspect ratio is 5:3 (which is what 800x480 is). Using our formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (c being the hypotenuse), we basically derive that our screen dimensions are....

Height = 3.6"

Width = 6"

That's what I used to cut my ipad screen protector down....

• 3 weeks later...

I got a screen protector for my 8000NEX from screenpatronus,com however I don't think that they cut it correctly because the sides,both left and as well as the top non-capacitive area right are not covered by the screen protector but the capacitive area is covered

That would drive me absolutely nuts!! Over time, the edge around the screen protector will begin to collect dust and dirt and the line around the protector will be easier and easier to see. Have you contacted them to see if it's "supposed" to be this way?

I got a screen protector for my 8000NEX from screenpatronus,com however I don't think that they cut it correctly because the sides,both left and as well as the top non-capacitive area right are not covered by the screen protector but the capacitive area is covered

Ya, I would need the full screen covered or that would annoy me too

Does anybody know where to get a full  screen protector for the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, i have seen this one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/x2-NEW-HeraShield-Clear-Touch-Screen-Protector-For-Pioneer-AVIC-8000NEX-7-Radio-/151286529430?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

But I don't know if they cut theirs to cover the full screen. I'm awaiting an answer  to that question that I sent to them via e-mail.