AVIC411.com

2000 Flushes.....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one commend cntrylvr for removing that avatar. I personally see it as offensive. I can take a joke that is directed towards me no matter how cruel or personal, but that avatar is directed towards people whom cannot defend themselves, and rely on other people to look out for them. Have you ever attended one of those events or spent any time with one of those individuals? Maybe if you had you would see where I am coming from. Go ahead and start bashing me I can take it. Sorry for the rant but I have a relative who has disabilities and I have volunteered at the Special Olympics and have seen first hand the abuse these poor people are subject to. You may think that it is just a joke and no big deal, but aren’t these people unfairly punished enough? Anyway just my thoughts let my bashing begin. I will even make it easy for you, I am overweight and going bald and I am a White Sox fan.

ummm, punished enough? isnt it more cruel to not treat them as 'normal'? by not making fun of them as we would you we are in essence treating them differently because of their disability.. I say so as to introduce them into society as a human being and not as a disabled person, we should treat them the same, including making fun of them!

Yes punished enough, I have heard horror stories from other volunteers about kids having their braces kicked out from underneath them as they walk down the street, being pelted with snow balls or rocks even one event where some jackass threw eggs. I have witnessed idiot’s mock their speech and facial expressions. Mimic their walk and hand gestures and so on, real funny stuff. Once again I am all for joking around with people if you knew me you would know that. But I draw the line at joking with someone who does not have the ability to joke back. That in my opinion is cruel. Treat them like everyone else in every other aspect of life but I think they deserve a break from us at least in that way. But everyone has his or her own opinion this is mine.

I realize that last post was a buzz kill and must make me look like a blubbering politically correct liberal, which I guarantee could not farther from truth. But take my word for it, volunteer once and your opinion will change.