AVIC411.com

Pioneer to add support for Apple CarPlay to its 2014 In-dash Car Multimedia Systems this Summer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of it being called App Radio 4, they'll probably call it CarPlay Radio. A radio that's intended JUST for carplay, with an FM radio. More than likely it will be more expensive than App Radio, because they would have to pay Apple royalties, but it would have to be cheaper than the AVH-4000.

$500 would be a reasonable price point to me, if it were to have a glass capacitive screen and the CPU/RAM necessary to delivery the carplay experience smoothly. If it can do those things, then I may just have to buy one for my wife's Tucson.

They didn't have to do anything at all. Kenwood didn't!

To be fair, with a couple exceptions Kenwood wasn't relying on the analog audio out from the dock connector to pull audio across. Pioneer was. Which is weird, since Pioneer was using the iPod over USB protocol to control the iPhone, but wasn't pulling the uncompressed audio which has been supported for years and years.

That does make sense but it will still have Pioneer app mode.

Agreed, it doesn't make sense to ditch AppRadio. Not when it works with Android + iOS, and they can lure devs like Waze who can't yet integrate into CarPlay. 

Instead of it being called App Radio 4, they'll probably call it CarPlay Radio. 

Probably not that name, as I think CarPlay may be a trademark by Apple.  $500 is probably still expensive for some buyers, but if it works like it should, this is still acceptable.