AVIC411.com

Pioneer to add support for Apple CarPlay to its 2014 In-dash Car Multimedia Systems this Summer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the list of compatible model (see below), any reason why an AppRadio 2 would not be compatible with this new protocol? I bought my AppRadio2 only 6 months ago, would be very disappointed if it is not compatible with this new unit in my car...

drawer-title.png

• small-unit-1.png

AVIC-8000NEX

• small-unit-2.png

AVIC-7000NEX

• small-unit-3.png

AVIC-6000NEX

• small-unit-4.png

AVIC-5000NEX

• small-unit-5.png

AVH-4000NEX

learn-more.png

At this point there is no reason to assume that pioneer will create an upgrade for Appradio 2 or 3 for car play. This could be because of many reasons but here are a few:

The interface port on the back of the HU may not support the information transfer that is needed for car play.

Pioneer does not want to write an additional firmware update for Appradio to make car play work.

Apple said the hardware in the app radio was not on par with their requirements and would not licenses Car play to work on the Appradio.

Pioneer may want to phase out the app radio line and by providing an update they extend the life of something they want to end.

All you can do is wait and hope they offer an upgrade and if they do not, you can sale your unit for what ever you can get and buy the one that supports Car Play.   I am thinking about doing that now just because I miss the Aux in that App Radio does not have.

Apple built the basic framework for CarPlay as a kit meant to be ported to various QNX deployments. You'll notice every car manufacturer signed up to have CarPlay in their vehicles is using QNX for the in car entertainment.

I suspect Apple's licensing requirements for CarPlay includes being certified by Apple, and probably requires the host device to implement CarPlay using an SDK provided and signed by Apple.

Don't hold your breath for CarPlay on non-QNX devices in the near future. Expect to have to plug in a Lightning cable to use it in first generation devices.

So, basically, if I do understand you, I'll have to buy a head unit of $700-1500 just to have CarPlay? That's basically the price of the NEX series...

How do we know which firmware is used in an AppRadio 2? Is it QNX or something else? 

I know Apple, and I also know they have high requirements when you want to connect one of their devices to another devices. They are picky! 

Only thing I regret, is having bought an AppRadio before CarPlay was available. I feel like I've been cheated somehow...

The Car Play compatible units have already been announced and the AR units aren't included. Until Pionner says otherwise, no AR units will be updated. You always run the risk of buying into obsolete tech within months of purchasing.

So, basically, if I do understand you, I'll have to buy a head unit of $700-1500 just to have CarPlay? That's basically the price of the NEX series...

How do we know which firmware is used in an AppRadio 2? Is it QNX or something else? 

I know Apple, and I also know they have high requirements when you want to connect one of their devices to another devices. They are picky! 

Only thing I regret, is having bought an AppRadio before CarPlay was available. I feel like I've been cheated somehow...

The only way you would be cheated, is if you paid any higher than $400 for that AppRadio2. You spent half as much as someone buying the cheapest NEX unit. Take that saved $300, and buy yourself a DAMN nice iPhone dash mount

The only way you would be cheated, is if you paid any higher than $400 for that AppRadio2. You spent half as much as someone buying the cheapest NEX unit. Take that saved $300, and buy yourself a DAMN nice iPhone dash mount

Let just say that when I fought it, the vendor told me it was developed for iPhone initially and that was the best choice for me. That is why I feel cheated!

I paid $300 for the unit, plus installation cost. But it does not deliver half of the functionality I was expecting to have with a painless usage. Half of the time, it does not sync with the iPhone, and I have to go to the iPhone and kill the AppRadio app to have it start normally. Just the fact that I must "allow" the app (so getting to the iPhone while launching the unit) is a bugging mess... And I do not even say that with iOS 7 and Lightning connector, the iPod functionality is not even working normally. That sucks, really...

Let just say that when I fought it, the vendor told me it was developed for iPhone initially and that was the best choice for me. That is why I feel cheated!

I paid $300 for the unit, plus installation cost. But it does not deliver half of the functionality I was expecting to have with a painless usage. Half of the time, it does not sync with the iPhone, and I have to go to the iPhone and kill the AppRadio app to have it start normally. Just the fact that I must "allow" the app (so getting to the iPhone while launching the unit) is a bugging mess... And I do not even say that with iOS 7 and Lightning connector, the iPod functionality is not even working normally. That sucks, really...

I understand your frustration as all of these things you mentioned are frustrating. The problem, however, is that they have nothing to do with the fact that CarPlay is not supported on your radio. All of these problems you mention exist whether or not CarPlay was coming to the NEX series. If these problems frustrated you so much, you should have returned the unit while you still could and got something different. I guess I just don't see how you can feel "cheated" for these reasons as they have nothing to do with CarPlay. Any time you buy technology nowadays you should understand that in a couple months to a year, something "bigger and better" will be released and you will no longer have the "latest and greatest." This is how it is with all tech toys. If you want the latest features, sell your radio for what you can and pay the difference for the new radio.

I dunno maybe it's me, I play with a unit before I buy it, I had a z2 and it took the nex to finally let go of my z2. Never keep what doesn't make you happier.

No company is ever going to detail their roadmap of upcoming products (barring companies like Intel who only have obvious ways forward) otherwise people would never buy their current products as they'd always hold off for the next one.

That's just how the world of technology works I'm afraid.

I dunno maybe it's me, I play with a unit before I buy it, I had a z2 and it took the nex to finally let go of my z2. Never keep what doesn't make you happier.

I played with it, with an iPhone 4. With a 30 pin connector iDevice, it is working well. At least for the iPod function.

When I upgraded to a 5S, the unit stopped working with the iPod function, and then it started to become a nightmare to use... If at least Pioneer could update it for a good support of the iPod function, that would be great.