AVIC411.com

Did something utterly foolish....

Accidentally sprayed glass cleaner on my NEX and now the bottom buttons aren't functioning. The touchscreen functions work temporarily and after a short while they cease to function. I'm thinking to let the unit rest and dry out. Will this work?

Glass cleaner is mostly vinegar and ammonia. Remove all power, let it sit and it should evaporate. Its not doom and gloom like water, but you have to hope you didn't short a circuit while the power was on.

Thanks for the advice man. I'm gonna give it a couple days if all else fails try to return it for a new one...

• 1 month later...

Microfiber cloth.  NO LIQUIDS!

If you insist on using liquids 90%+ isopropyl alcohol on the microfiber cloth (NOT on the screen!) can be used.  That should be safe.  However, the lower-concentration (e.g. 70%) you typically find is not as it has too much water in it.

Isopropyl alcohol is used to clean flux and such off boards during manufacturing, but you still have to be careful with the potential for shorts.

Why would a damp cloth (water) harm the screen?  I can see where spraying significant amounts of water, or any liquid for that matter, could cause moisture issues.  Why is water damaging if used sparingly vs isopropyl alcohol?