AVIC411.com

Do any of you have the mute wire connected for any reason?  I know in previous bypass methods the mute wire was used in conjunction with grounding the parking brake.  I already have the unit bypassed using the new quadrant method, but curious if anyone uses the mute wire for anything.

Well since no one chimed in, I will add an oh by the way do not do this type update.  As previously stated, the mute wire used to be used as part of the bypass in previous Avic's, so I wired it the same way as the old Avic...mute to ground.  Yeah not a good idea, just leave the mute wire alone. The EQ, subwoofer, rear out, and a few other settings that I can't remember dealing with the sound will all be grayed out.  If you have an amp for subwoofers, and use the inputs for the subs, you will only get sound from your door speakers (that's how I initially noticed something was wrong), and you will not be able to change the volume up/down/mute from it being set at 12.  Hopefully this will help or stop anyone else from wiring it that way and save them lots of time and frustration.  

I used the mute wire to interface with an onstar module.

Yep I think that is what it may be intended for, to mute other connected accessories.  As the guy above you said, that mute wire used to get moved over in the harness, and it was not a standalone wire like it is now.  Once I had the "aha moment" and clipped it from ground, everything worked like it's supposed to. Up until that point I was pulling RCA's, and checking fuses on the amps, and got to the point of thinking I may have a defective unit.

I need to go back and hook that wire up.  I didn't realize that was the mute wire and now when I use the Bluetooth in my car (which is so much better than the NEX) it shuts the stereo off.  It comes back on when I hang up the phone but it won't reconnect to the phone correctly.  Now I know.

I need to go back and hook that wire up.  I didn't realize that was the mute wire and now when I use the Bluetooth in my car (which is so much better than the NEX) it shuts the stereo off.  It comes back on when I hang up the phone but it won't reconnect to the phone correctly.  Now I know.

Does your steering wheel have a mute button??