AVIC411.com

NEX Navigation Better than Z1XX Navigation?

In the past with the previous Z series it can take as much as 1K miles for the unit to calibrate and to reach its max accuracy. You may need to put more miles on yours.

Yeah I was hoping once the calibration lines were full, that it will have corrected the distance error, so I am giving it some time.  It isn't too bad of an issue, but it does concern me that a newer units GPS is not as good as an older unit...for now.  Otherwise, I love the NEX.  

The one feature that I really like is that it does not dim the unit when you turn the headlights on during the day, it will wait until sunset to actually switch the unit to nighttime driving. That caught me by surprise the first time it did it, as I was thinking something was wrong with the switch when I turned the lights on while driving in the rain during the day and I was expecting it to switch to night driving like the old AVICs would do.  It's those little things like that go a long way.

So far I can't say that I like the navigation better than my Z150BH...yet... but to be fair I haven't given it much use yet so I'll reserve judgment for a while still. The breadcrumb trails that I finally got back on my Z150BH after losing them on my X920 are now gone again, it doesn't seem to be an option on the 8000 NEX. Also missing is the line-of-sight line which tells me where my destination is in relation to my current location. None of the alert points work yet the red light camera alerts work on my iGo Primo app. I'll give it some time though maybe it'll grow on me.

-Keith

I think they are using iGo sat nav software because when you go through the menu for the sat nav its very similar to the Clarion I had which uses iGo and Alpine, who also use iGo. Also the icon for POI are very similar to the Clarion and Alpine. That just my theory, I could be wrong.

Koush

My experience so far with the NEX 8000 is that I arrive at my turns anywhere from 2-5 seconds before the Nav says to actually turn, and then the voice gets cut off because I am already turning.  I can be sitting right at the intersection light, and the nav will say I have anywhere from 100-300ft before my turn.  Luckily I only use the nav as a reference, and I actually pay attention to the street signs. I have the GPS antenna on my dash in the exact location as the old one that would be pretty spot on with the turns.  Navigation redirection is fairly quick, and I have purposely missed turns to see where it will try to reroute. 90% of the time it will send me to the correct point, or smart enough to tell me to turn around at the next available spot.  There have been a few times where it sent me on some wild turns that made no sense at all.  That being said, some of the reroutes will be based on the setting you have for fast, shortest etc... In the old Avics I do believe there was a way to correct the position/location of where you were to adjust the GPS.  I haven't taken the time to look for it on this unit yet, if it even exists.

There is an option disabled by default which provides you with advanced navigation instructions. sounds like you might need it. i haven't tried it myself yet tho.

There is an option disabled by default which provides you with advanced navigation instructions. sounds like you might need it. i haven't tried it myself yet tho.

If you're talking about the verbosity level of guidance, I already have that set to verbose.  Otherwise, I have no idea of what advanced navigation instructions you are referring to.

Apologies to all for my absence.  The internet's been down for a week at the house and I didn't want to try to thumb a reply on my iPhone.  Thank to you all as well for your contributions / discussions while I was away.  Here are the points that I found especially salient:

1. Custom iGo sounds very good to me.  I was prepared to purchase iGo through AppStore when I thought my AppRadio Mode experience was going to turn out better.
  2. I didn't have the antenna on the metallic pad while the Z-120BT was installed.  I just had it resting on the package shelf behind my rear seats.  I didn't even see that the pad was supposed to be used no matter what until I was reading the NEX8000 installation instructions.  D'oh!
  3. I also never hooked up the VSS.  As discussed in other forums on this site, Mustangs like mine require tapping the transmission OSS up near the ECU.  If I have to do that this time, so be it.

In the meantime, I've already ordered the unit.  It should be here tomorrow and I'll hopefully have it installed before the weekend.  Stay tuned for further developments . . .

If you're talking about the verbosity level of guidance, I already have that set to verbose.  Otherwise, I have no idea of what advanced navigation instructions you are referring to.

There's an option you can enable that gives you additional announcement about approaching navigation, I haven't enabled mine maybe I'll try it tomorrow... but from how the manual describes it it sounds like instead of it saying "In 800 feet turn left" it'll give you an additional warning at 1600 feet for example.

There's an option you can enable that gives you additional announcement about approaching navigation, I haven't enabled mine maybe I'll try it tomorrow... but from how the manual describes it it sounds like instead of it saying "In 800 feet turn left" it'll give you an additional warning at 1600 feet for example.

Adjust the announcement to verbose

Yep already have that set...like tekkie and I said, it's the verbose level that you are talking about.  It does get to be a bit annoying at times, especially when turns are very close together.