AVIC411.com

Car Play Demoed Today at Media Event!

Can't remember myself having reloaded a webpage as often as the Pioneer page in the last days. :-P Yes I know it takes as long as it takes, but I'm awaiting the update eagerly.Really. I'm going nuts... :mrgreen:

Car Play, Car Play, Car Play, aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

HA HA HA HA!!!!  Let us know when you see the update posted.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this article sums up how we're all feeling...

http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/07/pioneer-nex-users-still-awaiting.html

We KNOW that Summer ends on September 22nd...thus far, we PREDICT that Apple will launch iOS 8 (along with new iPhone/iPad models) on September 19th.  Both, the 19th and the 22nd encapsulate around the same weekend, and I guess a Friday would be an optimal day to put out all these software updates between Apple and Pioneer (iOS 8 and firmware update for Pioneer)....you know, give everybody the weekend to run these updates.

I guess Apple wants to be the "ribbon cutter" for CarPlay, so it only seems logical that they would do this.  Technically, since Summer ends the following Monday, Pioneer would still be living up to their promises of a "summer release"....LOL!

I dunno, maybe it's worth the wait?!  Maybe iOS8 will allow for CarPlay wirelessly?  that would rule, but it is doubtful.  

I think this article sums up how we're all feeling...

http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/07/pioneer-nex-users-still-awaiting.html

We KNOW that Summer ends on September 22nd...thus far, we PREDICT that Apple will launch iOS 8 (along with new iPhone/iPad models) on September 19th. Both, the 19th and the 22nd encapsulate around the same weekend, and I guess a Friday would be an optimal day to put out all these software updates between Apple and Pioneer (iOS 8 and firmware update for Pioneer)....you know, give everybody the weekend to run these updates.

I guess Apple wants to be the "ribbon cutter" for CarPlay, so it only seems logical that they would do this. Technically, since Summer ends the following Monday, Pioneer would still be living up to their promises of a "summer release"....LOL!

I dunno, maybe it's worth the wait?! Maybe iOS8 will allow for CarPlay wirelessly? that would rule, but it is doubtful.

If you think Apple and Pioneer and/or Apple is waiting for ios8, why even bake it in ios7? I don't see the logic.

If you think Apple and Pioneer and/or Apple is waiting for ios8, why even bake it in ios7? I don't see the logic.

I don't either! But, with a newer ios on the horizon, it'd be bad publicity for pioneer to have this update be incompatible.

I don't either! But, with a newer ios on the horizon, it'd be bad publicity for pioneer to have this update be incompatible.

By baking it in as a protocol in the OS, and documenting it for their partners, Apple is trying to make it harder for bugs like that to happen. I agree it will be bad publicity, but I'm not really sure it is iOS 8 related. 

Guys enough with all the speculation, seriously. The issue is likely on Pioneer's end. In the past they have had the worst software programmers and they likely still suffer from less the ideal people here. The issue is likey integration of Car Play into the rest of the system. Like the ability to have audio from the unit playing while in Car Play mode. Imagine not being able to play Pandora or a CD while navigating with Apple maps. Can you imagine how pissed you would be after waiting on this update and that's what you got? It's happened like this before from them so they are likely just trying to get full integration right. Give it rest already. It will come out when it comes out.

Guys enough with all the speculation, seriously. The issue is likely on Pioneer's end. In the past they have had the worst software programmers and they likely still suffer from less the ideal people here. The issue is likey integration of Car Play into the rest of the system. Like the ability to have audio from the unit playing while in Car Play mode. Imagine not being able to play Pandora or a CD while navigating with Apple maps. Can you imagine how pissed you would be after waiting on this update and that's what you got? It's happened like this before from them so they are likely just trying to get full integration right. Give it rest already. It will come out when it comes out.

First, why do you care if people speculate? It's fun and give people a reason to come to this (otherwise kind of slow) site.

Also, I don't think it is all Pioneer. Apple is waiting until their software is perfect too - they don't want any bad press on their products. If it's buggy upon release, their rep machine will feel the burn. Time will tell who's right (and it will be me :mrgreen: ).

SO, GUYS, KEEP UP THE GOOD SPECULATIVE FUN!

VBLUE42 is probably at least partially correct. It's likely that integration will be one of the most challenging aspects of CarPlay, for both the head unit manufacturers and Apple. Integration is/will be tough to get just right. (Look at AppRadio -- a disastrous end user experience). This isn't just slapping a firmware onto a piece of hardware and calling it a day, and getting it right goes well beyond playing music from the head unit while using Apple Maps (though that's a great example). There's so much more: Using a NEX unit's navigation while listening to iTunes Radio or Spotify in CarPlay, how a message should be handled when listening to HD radio, etc. Also, they could be working through scenarios such as the handling/hand-off of CarPlay features while listening to music from a USB2-connected iPod. The list goes on. When you think of all of the things one could do with either a NEX unit or CarPlay, each taken on its own features/merits, and then considering how each of those features could possibly interact together, well...there you go. Huge task, indeed.

http://www.pioneer-carglobal.com/en/CarPlay/

This website is the most dishonest representation of the truth I've ever seen -- it basically claims that Carplay is a current feature. I'm not freaking out over Carplay, really, just that it pisses me off that Pioneer sold me on this system. I would have bought something cheaper but for Carplay, which may never arrive before the next NEX units arrive.

http://www.pioneer-carglobal.com/en/CarPlay/

This website is the most dishonest representation of the truth I've ever seen -- it basically claims that Carplay is a current feature. I'm not freaking out over Carplay, really, just that it pisses me off that Pioneer sold me on this system. I would have bought something cheaper but for Carplay, which may never arrive before the next NEX units arrive.

I'm honestly just burnt out about the whole mess.

I just got this email yesterday from Pioneer in response to an inquiry about the update:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

At this time we are being told before the end of summer, we appreciate your
patience regarding this matter.

Curtis
Product Support Representative

I guess that's really kind of a non-answer, though. I mean, if it comes out tomorrow or if it comes out on August 31st, both would still be before the end of summer. But, it does look like early summer is no longer in play. The waiting continues....