AVIC411.com

Car Play Demoed Today at Media Event!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That apple guy was very quick to dodge his question on how Carplay handles unsupported apps.

Even brought up a good question about moving the icons. Strange that you would not be able to rearrange them. Something tells me that will not ultimately be the case.

Even brought up a good question about moving the icons. Strange that you would not be able to rearrange them. Something tells me that will not ultimately be the case.

Certainly not while moving. I can see something like this as one of the many last-minute "Oh, shit!" things that Apple may have caught and is working to address before releasing CarPlay. There are just so many little things/use-case scenarios to consider as part of the integration process that overlooking (at least) a few of them is bound to happen...

In conjunction with all the anticipation/hysteria re Carplay, I was just reading some newish reviews. To sum up the reviews in one word, "meh."

Where have you seen any reviews? The closest thing I saw to a review was this one guy who's grand total complaint was "my iPhone can do everything Carplay does" duh, your iPhone is powering Carplay. It's also doing it from a much larger screen.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-carplay-review-20140527-story.html la times for example thought it was quite nice.

Edit: here is the one meh article I'm referencing. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185815-apple-carplay-is-limited-functionality-all-there-is

Where have you seen any reviews? The closest thing I saw to a review was this one guy who's grand total complaint was "my iPhone can do everything Carplay does" duh, your iPhone is powering Carplay. It's also doing it from a much larger screen.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-carplay-review-20140527-story.html la times for example thought it was quite nice.

Edit: here is the one meh article I'm referencing. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185815-apple-carplay-is-limited-functionality-all-there-is[/quote

I read another but here's what I found via google:

http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221640-apple-carplay-is-that-all-there-is-for-now

Edit: here is the one meh article I'm referencing. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185815-apple-carplay-is-limited-functionality-all-there-is[/quote

I read another but here's what I found via google:

http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221640-apple-carplay-is-that-all-there-is-for-now

Lol we are both referencing the same article for the negative review. The problem with that article is that it's negative points are either about speculation of how Carplay will run or complaining there are no apps for an interface that isn't even out yet.

Lol we are both referencing the same article for the negative review. The problem with that article is that it's negative points are either about speculation of how Carplay will run or complaining there are no apps for an interface that isn't even out yet.

Haha. Oops. I should have paid more attention to your post.

I guess my thought is that Apple has a tendency to release products with strong functionality on a few features, rather than focusing on a lot of features that only work okay or are hindered by the hardware. e.g. The original iphone (no App Store), and Apple TV(which is still held back by Apple). This will mean that a lot of people will complain it's too bare bones to be useful. Anyway since pandora is baked into the NEX, I'm really only worried about Spotify (there) and Waze (will be months from release) being installed.

Haha. Oops. I should have paid more attention to your post.

I guess my thought is that Apple has a tendency to release products with strong functionality on a few features, rather than focusing on a lot of features that only work okay or are hindered by the hardware. e.g. The original iphone (no App Store), and Apple TV(which is still held back by Apple). This will mean that a lot of people will complain it's too bare bones to be useful. Anyway since pandora is baked into the NEX, I'm really only worried about Spotify (there) and Waze (will be months from release) being installed.

I'm really hoping apple doesn't "Apple tv" carplay. There is no good argument for the lack of an app store on that platform. Also currently all of the carplay apps are sound apps. None are of any other variety. Even MLB is a way for you to listen to the content on it. There's no alternative nav option available.

Although as far as the apple way of doing things I prefer that to the half baked pioneer method where the apps are glitchy and features that were supposed to come with the radio are missing (idatink, avicsync)

I'm really hoping apple doesn't "Apple tv" carplay. There is no good argument for the lack of an app store on that platform. Also currently all of the carplay apps are sound apps. None are of any other variety. Even MLB is a way for you to listen to the content on it. There's no alternative nav option available.

Although as far as the apple way of doing things I prefer that to the half baked pioneer method where the apps are glitchy and features that were supposed to come with the radio are missing (idatink, avicsync)

I don't think you are going to see a large number of apps for CarPlay at launch. For one, the number of developers allowed to create apps for CarPlay is very small. It's an invite only club right now. I have been an iOS developer for the last 5 years and many business apps in the store, and I can't get my hands on the CapPlay development kit. I have a few ideas I would like to try out, but until Apple opens up the box for all developers, we have to wait. This is frustrating for us, but smart on Apple's part. They would rather have a small number of apps that mesh tightly with the system than a few hundred "fart" apps that are crap. Also, remeber that there are three systems in play here.

1) The Pioneer radio handles HD Radio, Sirius, SD, USB and HDMI hook ups

2) CarPlay works as an app inside the radio, but needs to mesh with the existing features and coexist

3) CarPlay apps need to follow a subset rules that CarPlay does inside the radio

So, CarPlay needs to act like a traffic cop for any of its apps. Not only for the iPhone experience (listening to MLB while the maps app is up), but also with the Pioneer experience (listening to HD radio or the SD card with the maps app).

It should be more reliable than AppRadio with a more constant interface and better quality apps. But don't expect to see the varsity of apps that are currently available under AppRadio.

I don't think you are going to see a large number of apps for CarPlay at launch. For one, the number of developers allowed to create apps for CarPlay is very small. It's an invite only club right now. I have been an iOS developer for the last 5 years and many business apps in the store, and I can't get my hands on the CapPlay development kit. I have a few ideas I would like to try out, but until Apple opens up the box for all developers, we have to wait. This is frustrating for us, but smart on Apple's part. They would rather have a small number of apps that mesh tightly with the system than a few hundred "fart" apps that are crap. Also, remeber that there are three systems in play here.

1) The Pioneer radio handles HD Radio, Sirius, SD, USB and HDMI hook ups

2) CarPlay works as an app inside the radio, but needs to mesh with the existing features and coexist

3) CarPlay apps need to follow a subset rules that CarPlay does inside the radio

So, CarPlay needs to act like a traffic cop for any of its apps. Not only for the iPhone experience (listening to MLB while the maps app is up), but also with the Pioneer experience (listening to HD radio or the SD card with the maps app).

It should be more reliable than AppRadio with a more constant interface and better quality apps. But don't expect to see the varsity of apps that are currently available under AppRadio.

Well also I'm amazed to say this, but Appradio is a more mature platform. The app layout of today is far different than the one Appradio launched with.

Ah, the day Car Play is released App Radio will be obsolete and likely will go the way of the Doe Doe. By the time Pioneer realizes it and kills AR Car Play will have matured and likely have far more support through the third party dev community.