AVIC411.com

Car Play Demoed Today at Media Event!

Apple has already announced Car Play and released it so there is nothing for them to further announce or release.

Apple will put out a press communication when the first car launches or that it gives the go ahead for companies to release firmware updates to allow Carplay. This does not just affect Pioneer but any car manufacturer with infotainment system that will require a firmware update to enable Carplay. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What infuriates me about this possible September 9th launch date is that it makes no sense. On September 9th all eyes and ears will be centered on iOS 8 and whatever new iPhone is launched. There will not be any spare media attention for Carplay. It's like when the original iPhone launched the Apple TV was announced at the same time. Nobody cared. They all wanted iPhones. The Apple TV didn't garner any attention.

Why repeat that with Carplay?

Well I think the reason to refer to CarPlay in Septmber during iOS8 release again is for this:

• As I have understood you will be able to answer phone calls and send messages from iPads/iMacs with the upcoming iOS8 if you are on the same wifi network. So for instance I am working on my iPad and get a call on my iPhone. I just answer it on my iPad instead of picking my phone up. Same for iMacs/MacBooks.
  • Now I read somewhere that eventually CarPlay will be a wireless thing, not requiring you to connect a cable. I am guessing that this will also work similarly where devices (such as pioneer 2din) will connect to the wifi hotspot of the phone to provide internet services as well the call/message functionality.
  • So probably this is something Apple will underline with the release of iOS8 and may be that's why they are waiting with CarPlay until September.

Anyhow, I am interested in a completely different question, maybe someone here can elaborate or knows:

• So the NEX8000 has built in navigation
  • With CarPlay you can for instance say look for restaurant X and give me the route
  • Question is: will Apple be able to relay that information to the built in navigation, or will it only work with the maps on iPhone. I am afraid the latter. Since the first would require extensive integration with software of different companies.
  • But in essence the built in navigation will become useless kind of unless you do not own a smartphone and are not interested in CarPlay kind of connectivity

I currently have a F900BT and I am thinking of buying either the F60DAB (European NEX8000) or the X8600BT (don't know what model that is in the US). The latter is without built in navigation and will also support CarPlay. I am leaning towards the latter because I don't want to buy a €1150 unit and than have to pay €150 every time I want to upgrade my maps. Especially, if (like I mention above) the navigation function become essentially useless with integration of CarPlay.

I am still hesitating on all of this. What do you guys think? Any advice?

Well I think the reason to refer to CarPlay in Septmber during iOS8 release again is for this:

• As I have understood you will be able to answer phone calls and send messages from iPads/iMacs with the upcoming iOS8 if you are on the same wifi network. So for instance I am working on my iPad and get a call on my iPhone. I just answer it on my iPad instead of picking my phone up. Same for iMacs/MacBooks.
  • Now I read somewhere that eventually CarPlay will be a wireless thing, not requiring you to connect a cable. I am guessing that this will also work similarly where devices (such as pioneer 2din) will connect to the wifi hotspot of the phone to provide internet services as well the call/message functionality.
  • So probably this is something Apple will underline with the release of iOS8 and may be that's why they are waiting with CarPlay until September.

Anyhow, I am interested in a completely different question, maybe someone here can elaborate or knows:

• With CarPlay you can for instance say look for restaurant X and give me the route
  • Question is: will Apple be able to relay that information to the built in navigation, or will it only work with the maps on iPhone. I am afraid the latter. Since the first would require extensive integration with software of different companies.
  • But in essence the built in navigation will become useless kind of unless you do not own a smartphone and are not interested in CarPlay kind of connectivity

I currently have a F900BT and I am thinking of buying either the F60DAB (European NEX8000) or the X8600BT (don't know what model that is in the US). The latter is without built in navigation and will also support CarPlay. I am leaning towards the latter because I don't want to buy a €1150 unit and than have to pay €150 every time I want to upgrade my maps. Especially, if (like I mention above) the navigation function become essentially useless with integration of CarPlay.

I am sure that CarPlay will use interal iOS maps only. But, this actually gives a lot more flexibility in the long run:

1) The iOS Maps are updated all the time and are free

2) Better intragration between the Maps and other apps on the phone without having to go though the built in NEX nav maps.

The HeySiri functionality of iOS 8 will be very usefull, but again, it needs to be connected to a lightning cable to work. Personally, I would like the option to use Bluetooth connections for CarPlay, but the reality of it is I would keep it plugged in most of the time anyway to keep it charged. Running iOS maps and other internet activity will drain the battery quickly. I am sure that's why CarPlay was initially designed for lightning cable connections.

I am sure that CarPlay will use interal iOS maps only. But, this actually gives a lot more flexibility in the long run:

1) The iOS Maps are updated all the time and are free

2) Better intragration between the Maps and other apps on the phone without having to go though the built in NEX nav maps.

The HeySiri functionality of iOS 8 will be very usefull, but again, it needs to be connected to a lightning cable to work. Personally, I would like the option to use Bluetooth connections for CarPlay, but the reality of it is I would keep it plugged in most of the time anyway to keep it charged. Running iOS maps and other internet activity will drain the battery quickly. I am sure that's why CarPlay was initially designed for lightning cable connections.

I agree, and as you I don't mind the cable connection because you need to charge the phone anyways. 

But what I meant to say that essentially if you are into CarPlay than the more expensive pioneer units with built in navigation are useless and foolish to buy. Only thing I would like to have is the built in GPS antenna to have good GPS reception regardless of where I put  my phone. Because obviously otherwise CarPlay will use the phone's GPS.

I agree, and as you I don't mind the cable connection because you need to charge the phone anyways. 

But what I meant to say that essentially if you are into CarPlay than the more expensive pioneer units with built in navigation are useless and foolish to buy. Only thing I would like to have is the built in GPS antenna to have good GPS reception regardless of where I put  my phone. Because obviously otherwise CarPlay will use the phone's GPS.

The units with built in Nav's at least are able to still give directions even if you don't have an internet connection. This is not possible with Apple Maps or Google Maps. 

However, Apple wants you using their maps. It's tied to their Voice Control system. They don't want you using anyone else's maps, so as such they won't help Pioneer make their job easier. Now if Pioneer would just either update their Avic Feeds app to support the new radios and release the AvicSync app so that the new radios can get map updates, it would be a different matter. 

Carplay runs by having the phone do all of the heavy lifting. It is very similar to AppRadio Mode, but far more deeply tied into the phone's OS. If it became wireless, it would be through an Airplay like system. So there would probably be some form of low latency wifi that would transmit the video feed of the apps from the phone to the head unit and relay back the control commands to the phone when you press something on screen. I highly doubt this will come out soon and I doubt the NEX line can handle it out of the box. I don't want to use a wireless carplay anyways. It will just drain my battery. I like having my phone plugged in. 

I believe the X8600BT is the equivalent to the 4000NEX here in the US. That is the unit I have. I'm very happy with it. I wish I had carplay now, but I wouldn't be caught dead paying extra for the built in nav that even before carplay I never planned on using. 

Yes the Nav function on the radio will become rather pointless once you have carplay in the car. The only time it will be useful at all is when you don't have data, which is quickly becoming a further rarity as time goes on and the networks get more and more robust. No apple won't go out of their way to help Nav makers integrate their built in Navs with Apple services and searches. Many of the automakers have made apps that let you talk to your car and send it your directions. Avic Feeds is just that kind of app for older head units. Hopefully Pioneer will upgrade that app for the new machines. 

Well, I live in a small country, Netherlands. And not having internet reception here is kind of almost impossible. Although speed is not always 4G.

I am not sure wether Apple will allow 3rd party apps to be accessed by CarPlay. That would solve the problem of maps, as googlemaps does allow downloading of maps nowadays. So you plan a route and then download it and it is accessible even without an internet connection. Probably Apple will come up with a similar solution. Although Apple maps still need a lot of improvement. 

I'll just wait and see what CarPlay brings and how it works. 

@DP3343: are you happy with the speed of the NEX4000? My main reason to wanting to upgrade from F900BT is speed issues. The units starts to hang and lag if I have a USB stick/SDcard with too many MP3 files. Not to mention if I start navigation at the same time.