AVIC411.com

Car Play Demoed Today at Media Event!

Back on May 15 at Pioneer's big demo event in San Francisco, Pioneer's Ted Cardenas was quoted as saying the CarPlay update would be available "weeks, not months, from now and free of charge." http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/05/breaking-pioneer-demos-apple-carplay-in.html?m=1

That statement may be partly to blame for why many expected that Pioneer would have released the firmware update by now. It's certainly why I keep hitting "refresh" on Pioneer's firmware updates page (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Downloads). Sorry if my constant refreshes have prevented Pioneer from posting the update . . .

"Weeks not months" doesn't really mean anything and it doesn't even make sense.  They could say it will be available in 6 weeks, but that's the same as about 1.5 months but they didn't SAY 1.5 months.  They can express time however they want.

I say it will be available in microseconds, not decades.  Hopefully 2.628×10^12 microseconds, not 0.008328 decades.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to stick with my initial assumption that Ferrari gets first crack at this. Once they release a car with Carplay the update will follow.

Yeah thats it, take a car company that not only wont sell to just anyone, but will only sell to people they approve and that have enough money to buy an island. I mean, its not like Apple and Pioneer are catering to the masses here or anything. Please........What Ferrari gets and when has absolutly no baring on this.

Yeah thats it, take a car company that not only wont sell to just anyone, but will only sell to people they approve and that have enough money to buy an island. I mean, its not like Apple and Pioneer are catering to the masses here or anything. Please........What Ferrari gets and when has absolutly no baring on this.

Especially considering Apple's number one interest is pleasing as many of its customers as possible. Not appeasing the egos of the 0.000001% that be able to buy a brand new Ferrari by making sure they get this feature first. 

I am not saying that Apple wants to appease Ferrari, but when one of Apple's Senior Vice Presidents also sits on the board of Ferrari there may be some influence. 

Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's another look.

What I am not pleased about and maybe this is an early iteration of Carplay is that there is no Album Artwork visible when music was playing. 

I am not saying that Apple wants to appease Ferrari, but when one of Apple's Senior Vice Presidents also sits on the board of Ferrari there may be some influence. 

Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's another look.

What I am not pleased about and maybe this is an early iteration of Carplay is that there is no Album Artwork visible when music was playing. 

the album artwork is the background of the media player

It should be but I didn't see it in this video. I have seen it when iTunes Radio is playing in other videos.

It's there, but you do have to really look for it. Depending on the artwork itself, it may be less visible, as its faded with everything else (controls, metadata, etc) displayed as a layer on top of it.

I dunno..just starting to think this thing is still half baked and not ready yet. Maybe with iOS8 we may see something. Apple sure has helped Pioneer sell a lot of head units before the software is even out.

The delay is quite perplexing. Apple had enough confidence in Pioneer's CarPlay implementation that they featured it in a 1965 Ford Mustang on the floor at WWDC (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129231-classic-1965-mustang-gets-pioneer-apple-carplay-treatment-we-ride-shotgun). Perhaps Apple and Pioneer are indeed taking extra time to insure compatibility with iOS 8. It would be a bit embarrassing for both parties if CarPlay stopped working in the NEX units once everyone upgrades to iOS 8 in a couple of months.