AVIC411.com

Bluetooth Hands-free Quality

Can anyone comment on the quality of phone calls with Bluetooth, specifically with an iPhone (and specifically on the 8000, but I imagine the others are similar).  Is the connection reliable?  Sound ok?  How well does the mic work?  Are people able to understand you without complaining about the quality?  Any comments about the normal "loudness" of your car helps too (I have a LOT of roadnoise!).  Thanks!

Everyone I talk with say I sound very good, I love the volume option cause most people I speak to are nice and clear, however whenever I talk with my wife I have to turn the volume down cause she talks loud and gives me a headache. shhhh I didn't say that. Lol

Everyone I talk with say I sound very good, I love the volume option cause most people I speak to are nice and clear, however whenever I talk with my wife I have to turn the volume down cause she talks loud and gives me a headache. shhhh I didn't say that. Lol

HAHAHA

Almost everyone I've called complained about the microphone quality, going as far as saying it is worse than my iPhone's speakerphone quality. This even occurs when I have the car off and parked. I'm using the included mic and have it mounted on the a-pillar. I sound like I'm under water apparently. I'm really frustrated about this. Could it be possible I have a defective mic? 2000 Impreza RS with 8000nex. Thanks.

Your mic is mounted wrong.

The included one is a cardoid mic.  It MUST have unblocked access from the rear; those holes around the circumference must be exposed to the sound field.  That's how it cancels background noise.

I have mine on the rearview mirror wiring stalk right up at the headliner, pointed at the driver seat.  Sound quality is excellent; several people didn't know I was in my car!

If you can't mount it in a way that is unobstructed then you need a microphone that is suitable to where you're going to put it.

I've installed mine since I started this thread, and in my limited use I'm happy with it so far. I mounted my mic on my visor, which I originally didn't want to do, but it turned out to be really easy to hide the wiring, and putting it in the left corner means I can actually use the visor without causing the wiring to get pulled out of place. Obviously the mic wouldn't be useable in many cases but I don't use the visor that much anyway. Anyway, my wife said she couldn't even tell I was on Bluetooth while just sitting idle. We had another conversation while I was driving and there seemed to be no issue from either end, although I didn't ask her specifically about quality. Also, Siri seems to work better than just using her with just the phone while driving so the mic is obviously better.

This is how my microphone is set up. It is kind of hard to see but it is clipped on the A-Pillar at an angle pointed to the driver. I am having far from a positive response from people on the other line. Are there any problems with how the mic is installed?post-116082-0-82160500-1401316385_thumb.jpg

That looks generally ok.

Mine is mounted on centerline at the top of the windshield, clipped to the cover for the wiring that goes to my Homelink mirror.  I've taken and made several calls and on a couple of the early ones I asked how I sounded; everyone asked said that I sounded like I was talking on my phone and not on a speakerphone, and nobody has complained about call quality.

The key is that the back of the microphone (the slots) MUST be unobstructed and the "face" of the microphone should be pointed as close as is reasonably possible to your mouth when you're in the driver's seat.  That's what a cardiod (which is what this unit is) microphone "wants" to get the proper sound quality.