AVIC411.com

Optimal Cable Setup

I'm trying to plan out my install before my 8000 arrives next week.  I want to setup the USB/HDMI efficiently so I don't have to open my car back up later on to change what's hooked up.  I'm not sure if anyone has a good answer since we don't know if CarPlay has to be plugged in to USB1 or USB2, although I'm sure it will be USB1 only.  Basically I'm looking to have maximum flexibility.

Here's the deal, initially I want to have the option of having AppRadio, CarPlay or Mirroring with my iPhone 5, or to be able to plug in a USB drive or anything else that may come along.  My plan is to use the Digital AV adapter for HDMI only, since the lightning cable only provides power, and I don't anticipate needing to charge it when using AppRadio or Mirroring (although one of my ideas might allow me to add another cable for charging too).  My initial plan was to have HDMI -> DigitalAV -> hanging connector for iPhone, USB1 -> hanging connector for iPhone, USB2 -> USB extender hanging for options.  The issue I see as a possibility is that things like firmware updates say they have to be done from USB1, which means I would need an extender on USB1 as well.  I assume that USB storage works on either 1 or 2.  One thing the manual does say is that you can't use a USB hub for USB storage.  So that kills the idea of just having a hub off of USB1 and have the hub accessible, or running extenders from there.  

My plan also includes fabricating some sort of dock where I can both of the lightning connector options (AppRadio and standard/CarPlay) as needed.  I want minimal wiring exposed.  I plan on having a portal of a sort where the wires come out of, and that would also allow me to pull out the hidden Digital AV adapter to use the HDMI for a different source if needed.  So that's why I don't want to just run two USB extenders and then build an external port for those to plug in.  

Anyone have any unique ways they've set up their cabling to maximize flexibility?

I have pretty much the same setup you have. My iphone is connected to usb1. Pioneer provides 1 USB extension cable. I also have the hdmi adapter connected. And I just added a second USB extension for usb2. I have my wires hidden in coin tray. It holds my phone and wallet in there. And it closes. So you can't see the wires.

Nex comes with 1 extension cable, so buy another extension cable and HDMI CABLE, run em both to easy accessible location, glove compartment, etc. now u have access to whatever devices u want to plug in easily, APPLE, ANDROID, HDD, THUMB DRIVE