AVIC411.com

Car Speed Signal Input

Good day to all.  Have had my AVIC-5000 installed for about 3 weeks and love it.  I have one question, is there any way to tell if the  'Car Speed Signal Input' has, infact, been properly connected?  My installer did a decient job but would like to verify if that was installed properly, short of pulling the unit out and checking the pink wire (as shown in the installation manual on page 10).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thank you for your reply...my NAV speed indicator and the car speedometer do match-up.  I have no reason to asume he did not hook up the wire...just wondering if there was any way to verify it.  From your example, it sounds like all is well with my installation.

Thank you for your contribution to the forum, it is very helpful to us newbes.

I think the speed shown by any gps navigation is calculated by measuring gps location traveled within a fixed time period, and is usually very accurate (with good gps fix) and can be more reliable than a vehicle speedometer when non-stock tire/wheel combo produces a different overall diameter.

I think the speed shown by any gps navigation is calculated by measuring gps location traveled within a fixed time period, and is usually very accurate (with good gps fix) and can be more reliable than a vehicle speedometer when non-stock tire/wheel combo produces a different overall diameter.

I forgot about this too. IF you have oversized wheels lets say 20" on a factory 16" that was replaces your gps speedometer will be off. Then you have to go to the dealer to get it calibrated through the computer if your car is over 2006-and up. if its an older car you will have to get a calibrator chip to set the speedometer

is there any way to tell if the  'Car Speed Signal Input' has, infact, been properly connected?

On my 8000NEX there is a diagnostic screen that shows the status of the VSS input. Assuming the 5000 also has this screen, if you're moving and you see the pulse counter increasing then your VSS wire is hooked up correctly.

OK...I just checked my 5000 and couldn't find a VSS reference but I did find one called 'Speed Pulse'.  I wonder if that is the same thing?  The value was 0, and did not index up as the speed increased.  If that is the car speed signal, it does not appear to be hooked up.  Is it that big a deal if it is not hooked up?  Everything seems to be working fine.

Perhaps the only thing it does is to stop certain operator inputs when the vehicle is moving...just saying.

The system will be slightly less responsive if the Vss/speed signal is not hooked up, and could lagg somewhat, as the GPS speed (and distance) is calculated by means of distance traveled over time, whilst the Vss is practically instantaneous

Thank you to all who responded to my question.  It does not appear that the benefits of installing the speed sensor wire is worth the effort to open up the dash again.  My installer either did not know where to tie into the signal wire in the vehicle or did not consider it important/necessary.  At this point, I will just leave it as-is and not worry about it any further.  Like I said in a previous post, my 5000NEX is working great and think I will leave well-enough alone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, no worries. My 5000NEX did not have this cable hooked up neither. The GPS was working good and the speed was almost on par with my speedometer. My OCD led me back to Best Buy so that they could finish the job and install that particular cable. And also. Did your installer connect the Illumination wire? They also left this out at my local Best Buy. This Dims the LCD screen at your chosen setting when you turn on your headlights. Very useful because if not your going to have to manually adjust the dimmer when it is nighttime. 

One other thing. Do you have an iPhone hooked up? Did you get the VGA adapter cable to get it to work? I can't get my iPhone 5 to mirror on the screen. It is getting frustrating. Any insights on this? 

Thank you to all who responded to my question.  It does not appear that the benefits of installing the speed sensor wire is worth the effort to open up the dash again.  My installer either did not know where to tie into the signal wire in the vehicle or did not consider it important/necessary.  At this point, I will just leave it as-is and not worry about it any further.  Like I said in a previous post, my 5000NEX is working great and think I will leave well-enough alone. 

I don't know, I'd call them back and ask about it.  I think the speed sensor is also important for the ASL to work.  I had that in my factory radio and really liked it.  

I've had the same issue - they didn't install the VSS or the Illumination  wire.  I'm heading back on Saturday for them to connect both of those.  The manual turning down the display at night is a PITA.  

Even with the installation issues I'm super happy with the unit though!

Thank you to all who responded to my question.  It does not appear that the benefits of installing the speed sensor wire is worth the effort to open up the dash again.

Until you travel in a heavly forested area, area with heavy sky scrapers, or travle in a tunnel. It will be a big deal then. Its there for a reason and should be connected. If if its not always necessary for the system to use it.

I don't know, I'd call them back and ask about it.  I think the speed sensor is also important for the ASL to work.  I had that in my factory radio and really liked it.  

I've had the same issue - they didn't install the VSS or the Illumination  wire.  I'm heading back on Saturday for them to connect both of those.  The manual turning down the display at night is a PITA.  

Even with the installation issues I'm super happy with the unit though!

Yeah. I also noticed the ASL started working after I had the speed-pulse wire connected. Had it on my  :-( (rip) Lexus and I really missed it. Not all cars have this capability in the on board CPU, especially those before 2003 I think. In that case you would need to get a separate module for the speed-pulse which in my opinion it's not worth it at that point.  The Illumination wire? very important.