AVIC411.com

Using HDD for usb2

So I tried an western digital 250 gig external hard drive today loaded about 200 gig of music. Some flac, some mp3 and some AAC.

Initial read took an hour, pretty much expected.

However each time I started my truck it took 2 minutes to repopulate the music again, gonna buy a ssd and see if it's faster on load times after initial load, cause if it is, that may be the road I'll stick with.

I'd rather have all music in one place cause right noemi using 32 sd card, 80 gig iPod, and phone, still doesn't give me all the music I have

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised the external HDD (not SSD) worked at all; the usual problem is insufficient power down the USB bus, and the usual result is EXTREMELY flaky operation, if it comes up at all.

This is why external USB hard disks (before USB 3.0, which allows >500ma on a standard port) have an external power adapter -- they need it.  However, an SSD has MUCH lower power consumption and as such is fine on a standard USB port.

I have NEX4000 coming and intend to use a NTFS-formatted 128gb SSD as storage for my music.  I'll report here once I've got it installed and working on how it behaves.  An intelligent head unit should NOT require a material amount of time provided the device has not changed; all volumes have a VolumeID that they internally generate randomly when formatted (it's part of the formatting process) and so long as that Volume ID has not changed the device does not need to be re-indexed.  The other thing the device can do is keep a checksum of the directory structure (and only the directory structure!) to detect changes to the media which allows for disconnect and reconnect, so long as you don't write to it, without requiring a full reindex.

I would hope Pioneer is intelligent in this regard -- some other manufacturers are NOT.

I have had this problem before the trick is to get more power so what you do or what I did was buy a usb cable with two male out and one female in usb on ebay i bought 4 i use it on anything with this sort of problem one to system other to external charging of youre choice witch will boost youre portable hardrive I used it on my avic z130bt no im gking to use on my nex8000 when I have a minute I will post a pic oh by the way usually cable is 3 to 4 ft so I buy a extended cable from back to glove conpartment

I would not recommend using hdd, for three reasons. 1. They are too susceptible to damage from vibration or bouncing around 2. Power consumption is about 3 times that of ssd 3. Startup and read times are faster on ssd.

If you are going to use large ssd, format ntfs, fat is limited to <100 gb, and 4 gb per file. Pioneer's limit is 4gb per file, 1500 folders,15000 files, movies have time limit also.