AVIC411.com

NEX Problem Thread

Update: I think it's the Pioneer unit (or how I installed it somehow).  I tried connecting an Android phone over bluetooth, and had the exact same issue (mic works, but I get no audio from the other party).  I also tried hooking my iPhone back up to an older bluetooth module I used, and it worked fine.

I also did the bluetooth reset.  Basically, the NEX unit refuses to output audio during a phone call over speakers.

(I also have something wrong with the installation, because I'm getting a constant hiss out of the speakers, no matter if something is on or not.  I know the wires are set up right for the speakers, but maybe I screwed up something else.)

Also: I should probably move this to a different thread.  :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works fine for me with calls; no problem at all either way.  I get both the caller audio out the car speakers and the mic works.

If you're not getting caller audio the problem is likely in your phone firmware.  Note that there are TWO profiles for Bluetooth that have to both work -- A2DP is for high-fidelity audio like streaming music, but that's NOT USED for phone calls.  Thus, that you can stream music does NOT mean the phone is correctly connecting for voice call audio routing.

what vehicle is it installed in? If It's a Chrysler that is factory amplified and you are retaining the factory amp by using a metra adapter, then what may be happening is all the audio is actually coming from the rear outputs of the radio. The front outputs are not really used by the metra adapter. The telephone audio over Bluetooth is only sent out over the front outputs of the Pioneer. So since the cars amp never sees the front outputs you don't hear the phone call. The simple fix is to reverse your speaker connections. Hook front to rear and rear to front. Then you'll hear the phone call. A simple way to test if this is the problem is to turn the radio on to any input and adjust the fader all the way to the front. If you get little or no sound then this is the problem. Hope this helps.

@Thebrain.sherwood: You hit it right on the nose.  I was (very literally) just writing this second in to mention that I got it resolved with help from Crutchfield.  Their suggestion was to hook the NEX's front to the car's rear, and tape back the other two sets.  Et voilà! The phone audio works perfectly.

This (sadly) didn't fix the hiss, but I couldn't work on it any later, so I'll have to worry about that in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your help!  Now I'm waiting patiently for the CarPlay update.

@tekki: No, in fact I had performed a factory reset at one point.

The hiss occurs even when the NEX is in the "off" state, which makes me think it's related to the factory amp setup.  It may be something I can wire, or it may be something I have to live with.  I'll look into that more when I get a chance.

@tekki: No, in fact I had performed a factory reset at one point.

The hiss occurs even when the NEX is in the "off" state, which makes me think it's related to the factory amp setup.  It may be something I can wire, or it may be something I have to live with.  I'll look into that more when I get a chance.

could it be the hu fan?

Most factory amps (and more than a few aftermarket ones) have a noise floor that is nothing to write home about.  ~80-85db is typical and while that's decent by historical standards (and is inaudible in most cars on the road while moving) while SITTING with the engine off you can definitely hear it.  If you have the gain turned up on an aftermarket amp you'll DEFINITELY hear it, which is one good reason (if you have 4v or 5v outputs, as the NEX units do) not to do that!

What you want to see is a noise floor ~100db down @ 1 watt, NOT at rated power. There are a FEW car amps that get there (some of the high-end Alpine stuff, for example) but bring your checkbook -- they're not cheap, and check those specs CAREFULLY -- there's a lot of trickery with S/N's being quoted against rated power instead of the standardized 1 watt output.

One general issue -- Pioneer doesn't have a spec I can find on their preamp S/N.  That's kinda crappy IMHO as it should be something they publish and will stand behind.  They DO claim a 91db S/N @ 1 watt for their internal power amp -- but on a clean signal the internal amp only makes 14 watts (1% distortion limit, which is ok in a car but high for a quiet environment.)

I suspect it's the factory amp that's producing the hiss; the only real fix is going to cost you some money, as the inexpensive options (e.g. the Alpine 45w Class D unit) will also be audible in a non-running car.

@Thebrain.sherwood: You hit it right on the nose.  I was (very literally) just writing this second in to mention that I got it resolved with help from Crutchfield.  Their suggestion was to hook the NEX's front to the car's rear, and tape back the other two sets.  Et voilà! The phone audio works perfectly.

This (sadly) didn't fix the hiss, but I couldn't work on it any later, so I'll have to worry about that in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your help!  Now I'm waiting patiently for the CarPlay update.

I too have a Chrysler and I used the PAC-AUDIO harness with Premium System. Works flawless and no hissing.

@tickerguy: That's pretty much what I think is happening.  I figure it's a combination of:

1. The hissing is only really audible when the car is off & there's no music/audio playing
  2. The original radio sent a signal to disable the amp when the radio was off (or maybe even had no output)

I figure #2 because the OEM radio was able to handle F/R fading, even though it only had 2 inputs.  The reason this is so noticable is there's nothing disabling the amp, so it's always outputting something.

I'll probably still give Crutchfield a call, since they appear to have dealt with this setup before.  (Free tech support is pretty nice.)

@drenyce311: It's not a loud sound, have you heard it hiss when the car is off, and nothing is playing?  This is on a 2007 Jeep Patriot, with the Boston Acoustics sound (but not the nav system).

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

@tickerguy: That's pretty much what I think is happening.  I figure it's a combination of:

1. The hissing is only really audible when the car is off & there's no music/audio playing
  2. The original radio sent a signal to disable the amp when the radio was off (or maybe even had no output)

I figure #2 because the OEM radio was able to handle F/R fading, even though it only had 2 inputs.  The reason this is so noticable is there's nothing disabling the amp, so it's always outputting something.

I'll probably still give Crutchfield a call, since they appear to have dealt with this setup before.  (Free tech support is pretty nice.)

@drenyce311: It's not a loud sound, have you heard it hiss when the car is off, and nothing is playing?  This is on a 2007 Jeep Patriot, with the Boston Acoustics sound (but not the nav system).

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

I never actually noticed. I will check later on my way to work. 

Guys,

I have a 2007 miata with bose and installed the avic-5000nex. I used the harness adapter and dash kit per metra site. The install went well, no issues. the balance, fade and all is working properly and the microphone accepts voice commands. The bluetooth for phone calls is not working properly, and there is no audio for phone calls. No ringing, coming or going audio. It works for BT audio, so the A2DP portion is working. My phone is a galaxy s4. I believe I went through the manual, but i cannot find any special settings that may be wrong. smartphone setup is other and wireless/BT. It also would not work in the same manner with a droid ultra.

J