AVIC411.com

avh-4000nex will not start up

Sorry if you don't like my answer but it is fact that dealers become dealers to make money and are held to price points so that each are competitive, suggested manufacturer retail price is listed by each manufacturer but each store is suppose to not drop below a certain price point. This is for most electronics. I am a sub contractor so I get a discount on electronics and when I was an actual sony dealer many years ago with my store we had a minimum price we were allowed to drop to. Getting caught selling it cheaper than that would cause us to lose our dealer contract with Sony. I used to buy Denon high end equipment and sell it in eBay, I would buy say Denon 4306 for 1200. But retail was 1900.00, then sell it on eBay for 1500.00 until the actual dealer I bought it from called me and told me not to do it anymore. They tracked serial numbers it went back to them and was told if I didn't stop they would stop selling to me because they were getting shit for it from Denon.

You can find great deals out there, and save off manufacturer list, but in the end if u have a faulty unit and have no warranty, is it worth it in the end?

You can find great deals out there, and save off manufacturer list, but in the end if u have a faulty unit and have no warranty, is it worth it in the end?

Sometimes yes, I got my brand new 8000 for nearly $500 off MSRP so to me it was worth it. Plus you can get a Squaretrade warranty on it.

I got my radio from /premiercarstereo on ebay they even state in the auction it comes with full mfg warranty I emailed them many times with no response I would stay away from them

Well it was a new item, never opened and its working fine and probably will until long after the one year warrarnty I guess I dont have FYI price was $540 shipped.

Pioneer cannot evade the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness.  A DOA (or near-DOA) fails this test and if you had to sue them you'd win.  You won't.  They'll scream but they'll honor it once you use those magic words, because they know damn well you're right.

Now if it blows up 11 months into ownership you might be out of luck.

But out of the box?  No way.  And you can enforce that with your credit card company if you needed to.

The implied warranties of merchantability and fitness attach to anything sold at retail by anyone and can only be disclaimed by an individual contractual agreement prior to the transaction by the parties.  A contract of adhesion (e.g. "open this box, agree to these terms" sort of things) will not suffice and a manufacturer cannot void those warranties predicated upon the means of distribution because they're not offered voluntarily -- they're implied warranties that they are forced to honor as a consequence of offering the product for sale, as they form an inherent part of what is being sold.

That is, they're representing that this device will play music, that it will accept a reverse camera input and so forth -- as their published specifications claim.  Having made the representation that this is a stereo that goes in a car, runs on 12v and reads and plays media in the following formats they cannot escape if they sell you something that doesn't do that when sold.  That's flat-out consumer fraud and it matters not how you acquired it, provided that you did not steal it (that is, the transaction was voluntary, title actually passed to you and the product is genuine.  Pioneer is obviously not responsible for a counterfeit device that they did not manufacture nor can you claim a breach on something you have no lawful right to possess.)

Pioneer cannot evade the implied warranty of merchantability and fitness.  A DOA (or near-DOA) fails this test and if you had to sue them you'd win.  You won't.  They'll scream but they'll honor it once you use those magic words, because they know damn well you're right.

Now if it blows up 11 months into ownership you might be out of luck.

But out of the box?  No way.  And you can enforce that with your credit card company if you needed to.

The implied warranties of merchantability and fitness attach to anything sold at retail by anyone and can only be disclaimed by an individual contractual agreement prior to the transaction by the parties.  A contract of adhesion (e.g. "open this box, agree to these terms" sort of things) will not suffice and a manufacturer cannot void those warranties predicated upon the means of distribution because they're not offered voluntarily -- they're implied warranties that they are forced to honor as a consequence of offering the product for sale, as they form an inherent part of what is being sold.

That is, they're representing that this device will play music, that it will accept a reverse camera input and so forth -- as their published specifications claim.  Having made the representation that this is a stereo that goes in a car, runs on 12v and reads and plays media in the following formats they cannot escape if they sell you something that doesn't do that when sold.  That's flat-out consumer fraud and it matters not how you acquired it, provided that you did not steal it (that is, the transaction was voluntary, title actually passed to you and the product is genuine.  Pioneer is obviously not responsible for a counterfeit device that they did not manufacture nor can you claim a breach on something you have no lawful right to possess.)

Well put! Although I would love to see a counterfeit AVIC-8000NEX

That's why some of these stores offer warranty through them. The website I bought it from offered a 3 yr warranty. If anything happens I can return it to them. If I would've known this I've too would've gone with an a authorized dealer. It shouldn't what store I bought it from. It should still be covered. For example: if I buy a apple product at airport or non high brand retail store it's still covered. Smh.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, I hope this works out for you because I also got mine in eBay and saved $250...which to me is not chump change. I got mine from the seller stereoneeds which includes a 3 year warranty. Pioneer is really playing a dirty game there.

Most likely you will never have a problem with it. I just removed a pioneer with a remote and cd changer installed in 1996 and except for the cd changer having an error which just happened its worked great. I changed the batteries in the remote one time in that period.

• 2 years later...