AVIC411.com

WD Passport on 8000NEX

• 2 months later...

I could not get the 8000nex (new to me 8-7-14) to recognize a 1tb my passport ultra drive (new to me 8-8-14) as either fat32 or ntfs.

but the fact that usb2 was an option leads to be believe the 8000 knows something is there...

that to me screams a power issue...  so I found a Y cable for the drive on ebay.  in a week I will report my findings

PS:  fat32 supports drives up to 2tb..  you just need a 3rd party application to do the format (I use partition wizard)

edit: yes, the Y cable works perfectly..  but it takes a terribly long time to read a 1TB before its accessible.

Update: It will NOT play a high-def MPEG-4; says the file is incompatible.  There's your problem; you need DivX or H.264/WMV.

The manual says maximum resolution of mpeg4, H.264, wmv encoded video is 400 x 240 pixels, on USB/SD.  DivX max is 720 x 576... but manual says no playback from USB/SD.

One hint: Get everything under 100Hz off your door speakers.  Anything under ~200Hz is non-directional; you cannot localize it in the audio image, so there is no acoustic penalty to doing this, and door speakers are simply incapable of cleanly reproducing that material (nor for that matter is any other speaker where the rear wave can reach your ears -- which is basically all of them in a car other than a dedicated sub.)  ...

While I agree with this in principle, it is not an absolute.

Everything under 100Hz off the door speakers is a good recommendation for doors that don't have special treatment to mitigate rear wave returning to passenger cabin.  Door speaker systems as furnished from the factory provide, at best, only minimal mitigation of rear wave return.  Increased SPL requires more mitigation. Most OEM systems are not designed for substantial SPL.

It's very difficult to get decent return-wave isolation with a car door.  You can certainly do better than the factory in most cases (I've pulled my door cards and done quite the number on them in my Mazda) but then you have the second problem that comes up which is that the volume of the cavity is almost-certainly going to be wrong for the driver, and that will produce some nasty peaks in the mid-bass.

This is one of the reasons for excessive "boominess"; some people like that (the old "louder is better" thing) but I'm not one of them.  Quality over quantity please!

The easiest solution for moderate-to-quite-loud SPL levels (or where SQ is more important than raw SPL!) is to use a sub and route all the low frequency energy to it.  Kenwood makes a decent little one that will fit under nearly any seat; I have one in my car and it makes a quantum difference in the quality of the sound.  The NEX's active crossover setup works really well and is flexible enough to tailor what goes where in a nice way.

It's NOT difficult to get decent return-wave isolation with a car door... just becomes more difficult with increased SPL.  Here's what I did for my car...

2-1.jpg

The dampening material you see is also installed on the inside of the door skin.  Granted, it's not perfect isolation, but it is a definite improvement over OEM... so in that respect you are correct.  (BTW, the driver pictured is not what I currently have installed.)

Another issue is to securely mount the driver to the metal chassis, even if you have to build it out to mate with the door trim.  If the driver is just mounted to the trim, the trim just acts like a flimsy infinite baffle, and you definitely will not get decent rear wave isolation.

FWIW, a single peak in the mid-bass region isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Depends on how much and the bandwidth (Q factor).  Most door speakers are designed with a compromise between sealed enclosure and infinite baffle in mind.

Using a sub (or more than one) is a must even for SQ.  I design my systems to achieve no less than 120dB with SQ performance.  My car has a 1400 Wrms system and my full-size van has a 14,000 Wrms system. :)

@tickerguy

just to validate what you wrote earlier, I created several 720x404 mp4 files put them on a usb thumb drive and they worked perfectly on the 8000nex.

and thank you for the tip, I thought I was still going to be stuck at the 320x240 ipod classic resolution through the usb inputs (same as my old z140)...

• 2 years later...

This is a pretty old post but you guys all seem really knowledgable so i'm hoping you can help.  I have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited with a Pioneer NEX 8200.  I use carplay on my iphone in USB 1 and am trying to get my seagate 2TB portable loaded with videos to occupy USB 2.  I know that this will work because i had the 8100 several weeks ago with this setup and everything was working fine.  my 8100 had some issues with skipping that the installer couldn't fix so he replaced it for me with the 8200 but now i can't get my seagate to play videos any longer.  I've tried every format i can think of (i use a Mac by the way).  The initial setup was with MP4s but i can convert to anything if that would make this work.  I'm hoping that i'm just missing a setting in the menu or something but any help would be appreciated (especially by my kiddos :)