AVIC411.com

How to upgrade f/x920bt to newest maps ?

Hi guys,

I'va had absolutely no luck in the FxxxBT section, so I'm trying here. My apologies for the double topic, but I'm guessing the X section is a bit more active and afaik x920bt and f920bt are very similar (maybe even the same unit but sold in different continents).

I've had my F920BT for quite some time now (probably as long as my account here) and never really upgraded it. I've read topics in this forum (and also in the X series forum, as I believe X920bt and F920bt are really similar units with the X one only sold in the US) and here is my understanding so far:

- 2013 maps updates can be found here (which is nice, my 2010 (?) maps are not really up to date anymore) and it seems they can be installed on my unit by modifying 2 files (http://avic411.com/i...940-f840-f8430/)

- for some reason, firmware/map updates are messing around with text-to-speech files and my understanding is that prior to any "non-official upgrade" (i.e. uprading with a SD card bought directly from Pioneer France I assume) one must backup his TTS files, update, then restore these files

As this info is scattered among many threads here, I'd like to be sure before messing with my system. Am I right so far?

Now, a couple "bonus" questions:

1) How can I backup files (TTS and/or any other file that may be required. Which one, btw??) prior to upgrading? i remember holding a combination of keys to enter a debug menu on unit boot, but aside from that...

2) I am not familiar with these upgrades, but I've read somewhere that after upgrading, the speedcam display is lost. I've found discussions about this matter in several posts (notably in the update thread I liked above) yet no definitive answer: does upgrading to latest available maps really means losing the ability to display speedcams (which I installed via POIbase that downloaded some files to a SD card, back when I purchased the unit), and if so is there a way to enable this back after upgrading ?

3) Finally, I haven't found much about homebrews or 3rd party softwares/systems for this unit, but i am wondering if, like earlier Pioneer devices, it is possible to run sth else than the Pioneer OS, e.g. to widen the playback possibility of the device (video codec support is really poor, aside from DVD playback).

I think I'm done now! Any help will be appreciated, i'm usually quite good with messing around on computer/mobile systems, but for once I feel like gathering all the intel first might save me from stupid situations. I really don't want to be stuck after upgrade with a speedcam-disabled, english-only system  :)