AVIC411.com

I finished installing my 8000 into my FX4 over the weekend and thought I would do quick write up. I'm not a very verbose person so the pictures will have to do most of the talking.

The install consisted of the following:

AVIC-8000NEX Head Unit

iDatalink Maestro RR interface

iDatalink F01 Wiring Harness

Scosche Dash Kit

FaceplateOldandNew.jpg

Scosche and factory faceplates.

I didn't like the flat black so I decided to paint it.

PreppingForPaint.jpg

I scuffed it up so the paint would stick better.

SandedandReadyforPaint.jpg

Here it is ready for paint.

The paint didn't come out as good as I would have liked. It got some dust in it and I didn't have time to sand and recoat.

FaceplatePaintedSideView.jpg

FaceplatePaintedTopView.jpg

To install the radio I took my dash apart

MoreGuttedDash.jpg

_.jpg

and I wired up harness.

WiringHarnessCompleted.jpg

RadioFirstStartup.jpg

Here is the radio on for the first time in the truck. Sorry for the dark picture, I was doing a bunch of the work at night.

CompletedwithRadioOn.jpg

Here it is all back together.

I tried to tap into my stock Sync microphone (sorry no photos of that). And after many frustrating hours of tracing wires and trying different combinations I couldn't get a good signal so I just used the mic that came with the 8000. I decided to put it in the upper right corner of the instrument cluster.

MicrophoneCloseup.jpg

I also made a custom iPhone mount that goes in the centerconsole tray right in front of the shifter.

CustomiPhoneHolderwithcable.jpg

I made it out of some scrap wood

TraywithHoleforCable.jpg

Cut a hole in the tray for the cable.

TraywithCustomiPhoneHolderSideView.jpg

Did a little sanding and such to make it fit.

CustomiPhoneHolderPaintedSideView.jpg

Painted it black to match.

CustomiPhoneHolderInstalled.jpg

And installed it in the truck.

CustomiPhoneHolderInstalledwithiPhone.jp

It works pretty well and you don't really notice it when the iPhone is not plugged in.

That's about all, you can see more photos at http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/ShireLover08/library/FX4%20Upgrades/Radio%20Upgrade. It took much longer that I hoped it would mostly because of my wild goose chase to try and use the factory mic and because I wanted to paint the faceplate, but I enjoy tearing my truck apart and I am happy with the radio so it was worth it. Also I tapped into my factory rear view camera so now I have my rear view camera on my rear view mirror and radio.

Thanks for reading.

I like the dock. I was thinking of making a custom dock but on a mount. I don't really have a good place to integrate it. Might have to rethink it now!

I was thinking about using a different dock but I didn't want anything bulky showing in the truck when I didn't have my phone docked. I got the idea for the dock i made from a youtube video from a guy who had done something similar so I can't take credit for coming up the idea. Nice thing is that if I want to get rid of the dock I can just remove it and put the rubber insert back into the tray and no one will be able to see the hole I cut in the bottom of the tray :)

• 4 months later...