AVIC411.com

8000NEX Installed

I finally got around to installing my 8000NEX in my Forester over the memorial weekend.  I did a full write up on the Forester forums: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/pioneer-nex-powered-subwoofer-install-338858/

So far I'm liking it a lot.  I do have my VSS connected correctly and it shows up in the status screen but my map positioning seems to be off a bit.  Waiting till the 3D calibration status to complete and hopefully it resolves itself after putting on enough miles.

I did get a bit frustrated when using the navigation system coming home from work on Tuesday because it kept trying to put me on a back road.  Finally realized it was due to me leaving the default traffic setting of "Offer Detour if it Saves at Least" to 5 minutes.  The following day I increased that to 15 minutes and it left me on the highway. 

I'm using an iPhone5s with the unit.  If I remember correctly, I read a few posts awhile ago that you have to change smartphone settings from USB or bluetooth depending on actual connection.  I have that set to USB and I'm actually able to listen to my iPhone music via USB or bluetooth.  Comes in handy when I know I'm doing a quick 5-10 minute drive and don't have to bother taking my phone out of my pocket.

Final1_zps41ac7056.jpg

Final2_zps05165b9a.jpg

Final3_zps3442818e.jpg

Final5_zps1f9c3fa6.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. I like how well these units seem to integrate making them look OEM.

If you have you phone connection set to USB and you are connected with bluetooth then you can't use things like Pandora, aha, etc... You can still play music over bluetooth but you will only have play/pause control not full control.

Looks good. I like how well these units seem to integrate making them look OEM.If you have you phone connection set to USB and you are connected with bluetooth then you can't use things like Pandora, aha, etc... You can still play music over bluetooth but you will only have play/pause control not full control.

Not true, I have mine set to USB and I play pandora all the time while my phone is connected for Bluetooth calls.

But you have the phone connected to the USB cable right?

All I was saying is that if you the connection on the radio set to USB and then only connect through Bluetooth then you won't have pandora as an option. You can have the phone connected to USB and still make Bluetooth phone calls and such.

ericvic & tekki, thanks for the info.  I see what ericvic means with playing audio over Bluetooth while having the settings set to USB.  You don't have Pandora as an option.  If you set the smartphone audio settings as Bluetooth you can do Pandora over Bluetooth.   

Tekki, I'm also in Old Bridge, NJ.  One thing that is kind of odd with the navigation system is its handling of jughandles and U-turns.  On route 9 and route 18 it's mainly jughandles or U-turns to make a left but the navigation system keeps telling me to make left turns where turns aren't allowed.  Since I'm familiar with the area I ignore it and just take the jughandle or U-turn.  What concerns me is if I'm in an area I'm not familiar with and it tells me to make a left turn where a left turn isn't allowed.  Is there a setting to change this?  This is the first time I've seen this on a GPS system.  With other GPS systems I have used in the past (garmin nuvi's, Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz) they have correctly told me to take a jughandle when left turns weren't allowed.

ericvic & tekki, thanks for the info.  I see what ericvic means with playing audio over Bluetooth while having the settings set to USB.  You don't have Pandora as an option.  If you set the smartphone audio settings as Bluetooth you can do Pandora over Bluetooth.   

Tekki, I'm also in Old Bridge, NJ.  One thing that is kind of odd with the navigation system is its handling of jughandles and U-turns.  On route 9 and route 18 it's mainly jughandles or U-turns to make a left but the navigation system keeps telling me to make left turns where turns aren't allowed.  Since I'm familiar with the area I ignore it and just take the jughandle or U-turn.  What concerns me is if I'm in an area I'm not familiar with and it tells me to make a left turn where a left turn isn't allowed.  Is there a setting to change this?  This is the first time I've seen this on a GPS system.  With other GPS systems I have used in the past (garmin nuvi's, Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz) they have correctly told me to take a jughandle when left turns weren't allowed.

Ya it happened to me with the jug handle once. I was hoping it was a glitch. I'll have to take a trip down 18, because if that's the case then pioneer needs to really address that.

Ya it happened to me with the jug handle once. I was hoping it was a glitch. I'll have to take a trip down 18, because if that's the case then pioneer needs to really address that.

It looks like it handles jughandles ok.  It's when it comes to making a U-turn.  It tells you to make a LEFT turn.  However, the maps view has it correct and showing you have to exit right to make a U-turn.  On purpose, I passed the U-turn on Texas road and Robertsville Road (rt. 520) on route 9.  Sorry for the grainy picture as I was driving home from work and was the only one in the car.  Plus you know there are always cops on the median in that part of Marlboro.  I guess I didn't notice it the first time since I was in the AUDIO MODE view and not the map view and was just listening to the navigation voice prompts.  

U-turn_zps1193c092.jpg 

I do like the Pioneer Navigation interface.  I was just a bit surprised about it telling me to turn left where a left turn wasn't allowed.  Haven't experienced that with garmins, Apple or google maps, nav systems on Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, Mercedes Benz.  I'm not really on the maps view when I have a destination programmed.  I just listen for the voice prompts.

:mrgreen: hahaha no this isn't the Central NJ Pioneer Forum.  Just so happened tekki and I live in the same town.  I did my own install on my car.  I posted a write-up of my install over on the SubaruForester forums linked on the first post of this thread.

Guys can you clarify a little on the whole USB/Pandora thing? When I get my 4000 to take advatage of Car Play, I dont plan to use the Apple adapter/App Mode any longer. I do however want to avoid BT audio. Can the phone settings be set to USB or anything else to take advatage of audio over USB? Please only respond if you have tested this. Thanks.

Guys can you clarify a little on the whole USB/Pandora thing? When I get my 4000 to take advatage of Car Play, I dont plan to use the Apple adapter/App Mode any longer. I do however want to avoid BT audio. Can the phone settings be set to USB or anything else to take advatage of audio over USB? Please only respond if you have tested this. Thanks.

If you have the connection set to USB and plug your phone in then your audio will go over USB and not Bluetooth. Phone calls will still go over Bluetooth though.