AVIC411.com

Which Pioneer AV unit do you have and why?

Vote for the best NEX model  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which model is your choice?

• AVIC-8000NEX Flagship Receiver w 7â? WVGA "NON REMOVABLE" Capacitive Touch" Display n
    • AVIC-7000NEX Navigation AV Receiver w 7â? WVGA "NON REMOVABLE" Touch Display
    • AVIC-6000NEX Navigation AV Receiver w 6.1â? WVGA "NON MOTORIZED" Touch Display
    • AVIC-5000NEX Navigation AV Receiver w 6.1â? WVGA "NON MOTORIZED" Touch screen Display
    • AVH-4000NEX AV Reciever w 7" wvga "REMOVABLE" Touch Screen and optional AVIC-U260 NAV
    • AVH-X5600BHS AV Reciever w 7" wvga "NON REMOVABLE" Touch Screen and optional AVIC-U260 NAV

I can hear artifacts in even 320vbr MP3s (ripped with LAME) occasionally.  What's more to the point is that I can differentiate quite-reliably (with my nearfield monitors on my desk) between FLAC and those MP3s while blindfolded, and I get it right nearly all the time -- provided the music is of high complexity.  If not, then it's random.  I prefer to listen to high-complexity music, so....

In the car I haven't done the A:B thing with the NEX yet, and it's tougher to do reliably (nearly impossible under actual driving conditions while moving), so I don't know if the difference would be worth it.  But if I already have the music in FLAC why convert it to MP3 and make another copy just for the car?

Vinyl, despite what some purists say, is actually of lower reproduction accuracy (by quite a bit) than CD, and that's even with the best MC pickups for the LP side -- which most people don't have.  MC pickups have two serious issues for most people -- first their raw cost, and second the stylus is non-field-replaceable, so the cost becomes ongoing and nearly as bad as the original investment when the stylus wears out (and it does) instead of being roughly half as much or less to replace it.  Digital reproduction provides absolute channel separation, which no analog vinyl system can (typical is ~30db for the best of moving-coil pickups.)  Never mind the fact that mechanical disturbance is a big problem with vinyl (read: skips!) and the medium has an inherent noise floor that is much higher than digital's, never mind that digital's noise floor is white where vinyl has a very significant coloration to it.

The problem with CDs in terms of sound quality isn't the medium, it's the mix.  It's very tempting for the guy doing the mixing to lay in heavy compression and boosting of certain ranges, especially if the target audience values "punch" in the mid-bass.  Bleh.

A CD laid down where the intent is maximum sonic accuracy is a real joy.  Unfortunately what happens as you go up the curve with audio gear is that you reach the threshold where you start to hear the compromises the guy behind the recording board or mixing board made in producing the work rather than the work itself.  I've had that in my "main" home audio system for 30ish years and in my "computer" system for the last 10 or so; it's been more-elusive in my vehicles.

The NEX is quite capable of getting there with proper attention paid to the rest of the system -- and that's impressive.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic