AVIC411.com

What can we expect for the NEX lineup to work with iOS8?

Anyone think that we will get screwed over by Pioneer when iOS8 rolls out?  Those with an iPhone at least?  

I recently purchased all my accessories for my 4000NEX and was set to buy one this weekend, but also was going to upgrade to a new iphone this fall.  Kinda worried about how it will integrate and work with the NEX lineup.  Thoughts?

I also am going to get the new iPhone, and i also have the 4000nex. I do not foresee any problems with the new phone and ios8, as long as the app developers keep abreast of their apps and update them accordingly.  I would like to see pioneer's firmware update address a few things. I for one have the nav add-on by pioneer, and use app radio. Problem is you have to disconnect the app radio hdmi cable to operate the nav program. They need to make it where the mode switch has three settings instead of two. the hdmi overrides the rgb connection that the nav hooks up to.  I always got the betas of ios5, ios6 and ios7, but will wait on this one, mainly because i don't want to screw with the pioneer/iphone setup that is working now. I would also like the see the nav icon on the screen like the avic head units. 

I do not foresee any problems with the new phone and ios8, as long as the app developers keep abreast of their apps and update them accordingly.

And therein lies the rub.

Pioneer's track record with adding support for new phones to the AppRadio has been piss-poor. Example: the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was released last September and has sold upwards of 15 million units. To put that into perspective, that's almost half as many sales as all models of iPhone combined, and yet this phone, the Galaxy S5, and other popular phones running the latest versions of Android are still not on the "supported" list and do not work correctly with AppRadio mode on the NEX.

Now maybe they have all their software developers focused on CarPlay and don't have the resources for anything else. Maybe Apple will hold them to higher standards and the inital release of CarPlay functionality on the NEX will be smooth, seemless, and bug-free. Any maybe monkeys will fly outta my butt. :D

I do hope I am wrong. If CarPlay turns out to be a clear win on the NEX, my next phone upgrade will be an iPhone 6. But after seeing what a klunky mess AppRadio Mode is, I'm not very hopeful that Pioneer can pull it off.

the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was released last September and has sold upwards of 15 million units. To put that into perspective, that's almost half as many sales as all models of iPhone combined

Apple has sold more than 500 million iPhones since 2007. They sold 30 million last quarter.

To get back on topic, I don't see why iOS8 would be a problem but if it does cause a problem with appradio mode I don't see pioneer doing much about it because I figure all their effort (at least on the iPhone front) will be towards CarPlay.

As long as Apple doesn't force a change of the current standard in some way (like with the change from 30 pin to lightning) there should not be any serious issues.

the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was released last September and has sold upwards of 15 million units. To put that into perspective, that's almost half as many sales as all models of iPhone combined

Are you kidding me here???  :rolleyes:

dvarapala, on 04 Jun 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:snapback.png

the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was released last September and has sold upwards of 15 million units. To put that into perspective, that's almost half as many sales as all models of iPhone combined

That's funny....  Put down the pipe.  My 5000NEX works just fine with iOS 8 running on my iPhone 5s.