AVIC411.com

Z140BH buttons unresponsive, then partially working

Hey guys,

So: I have an AVIC Z140BH that's approximately 2 years old. A few weeks ago, the physical buttons on the unit stopped working completely, but the touch screen worked (and still works) flawlessly.

Then, about a week ago, the "track forward" button started working again, intermittently. None of the other physical buttons work at all, though.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this issue? Does this sound software or hardware-related?

Thanks for your help/input!

Boot into Testmode (don't even think about HackMode - might brick your HU). On the TestMode menu there is a test of hardware buttons. I don't remember what item it is or what it is called - but it is kinda obvious.

Thank you for your reply, RonS! I wonder: how should I attempt to boot into Testmode if I cannot access the SD card slot (as the eject physical button does not work)? Do you have a suggestion, sir?

Thank you for your reply, RonS! I wonder: how should I attempt to boot into Testmode if I cannot access the SD card slot (as the eject physical button does not work)? Do you have a suggestion, sir?

Well that kind of answers your 1st question. If you hold the eject button (for about 5 seconds) while turning on your ignition, and the screen doesn't open - you've probably got a hardware problem. Probably need to send it in for service unless you feel qualified to service it yourself.

But before removing the unit, try a hard reset (easiest sure-fire way is disconnect your car battery for 30 seconds). Sometimes that cures mysterious wierdness - certainly worth a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So, to my dismay today, I have run into the exact same problem.  Touchscreen and steering wheel controls work perfectly, but none of the push buttons respond at all.  I attempted a reboot by disconnecting the battery and it did not fix the problem.  I then tried to access testmode by using the home button hold while starting the car.  Still no response.

I found this thread.  I see it is a year old, but was wondering if anyone has run across this since and found a solution.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the 3-year hiatus, but my deck started working about 3-4 months after I started this thread. All of the suggested things to try I tried, and couldn't get it to work. Then, it just started working again, and has worked ever since.

Thanks, Pioneer!