AVIC411.com

8000NEX USB File Sorting

I have the 8000NEX and am currently using a 128gig usb stick for music. The only thing on the drive is music files either . flac or .mp3. There's 76 folders on the drive each being a different album. I'm just using the "file" sort which should list all the folders alphabetically but it does not. The folders are scattered all about with some small groups of folders sorted alphabetically but basically it's a jumbled mess.

This issue occurs with a smaller 16gig stick as well. So my questions is why isn't the alphabetical sort complete from top to bottom and is there a way to adjust or fix this?

Also all songs in all folders are numbered and the numerical sort inside the folders is fine.

Hope that's enough info, thanks...

Because Pioneer left literally one function call out of the Java code (yes, this is an Android device and app.)

When it finds FILES it calls the sort function.  When it finds folders it does not.

That's brain-dead stupid on the part of Pioneer.

There's a guy in here who's making progress on being able to non-destructively dump and load the code.  If/when I can get a copy of the APK file out of my unit I almost-certainly decompile it, fix it, and (probably) re-upload it to the unit.  Pioneer could also fix it in 30 seconds if they had a brain in their head.

(Seriously, it is one function call to sort an array list in the base Android code.  I'm not kidding on how trivial this is and how stupid they are....)

Because Pioneer left literally one function call out of the Java code (yes, this is an Android device and app.)

When it finds FILES it calls the sort function.  When it finds folders it does not.

That's brain-dead stupid on the part of Pioneer.

There's a guy in here who's making progress on being able to non-destructively dump and load the code.  If/when I can get a copy of the APK file out of my unit I almost-certainly decompile it, fix it, and (probably) re-upload it to the unit.  Pioneer could also fix it in 30 seconds if they had a brain in their head.

(Seriously, it is one function call to sort an array list in the base Android code.  I'm not kidding on how trivial this is and how stupid they are....)

It's been a problem for quite a while. My Z150 doesn't sort for squat, either. I remember seeing complaints about that from the point Pioneer started putting USB ports in their head units.

Is there even a glimmer of hope that Pioneer might fix this? Everything I've ever used even the cheapest mp3 players have always sorted both files and folders without issue and here's Pioneer's flagship head unit that doesn't do this, it's ridiculous. How is that not standard in any code these days??

Also I noticed how much it ignores folder sorting by updating some of the folder names and adding several new ones. It rescanned the drive and I got a fresh new jumble of folders just after I was getting used to how they were previously ordered.

Does anyone from Pioneer look at these posts for bug / problem fixes or is there a good e-mail to add my complaint to the list?

This really needs fixed!

I realize that I'm going wayyy out on a limb now but should this be fixed a helpful addition would be to have some type of 0-9 A-Z selection available instead of having to scroll hundreds of folders. This is only a suggestion for a nice feature but I'll be happy if they just fix the sorting issue.

Make sure to organize your folders by artist under the root ie  E: ac/dc/

/back in black

E: evenesance/

/fallen

/the open door

Well I tried this on a smaller drive with about 30 folders. I renamed the root folder with the artist name and subfolders with the album name. It sorts the album names in the subs just fine but the root artist names are still a mixed up free for all.

Just for fun I also tried numbering the root folders but that only caused a rescan and fresh jumble of root folders.

I went through the 128 gig drive and renamed everything as previously discussed and it worked perfectly. Not sure what happened different this time unless I missed one or something earlier. Anyway it sorted all the root folders, sub folders & filenames just fine, shrug...

Thanks for the tip.

Wanted to add a quick update. I added a few new folders to the 128 gig drive and it sorted the new folders themselves alphabetically but placed them at the bottom of the list. A nice simple regular normal 0-9 A-Z file / folder sort would be nice and really needs to be added / fixed.

Do a search for FAT Sorter, it might give you a better idea of what's going on, brief info:

Publisher's description

FAT Sorter is a "simple" program to sort files on a FAT file system.The target scenario for it is to sort the files and folders on a USB flash drive alphabetically, so they are loaded properly on devices that read them.

The FAT file system doesn't support sorting directory entries. However, this is the only file system for USB flash drives that is widely supported. Unless the hardware or software accessing the device (like your computer) resorts them for display, the files will show in the order they were added to the directory.

Well here seems to be the best workaround I've found so far. My 128 gig drive was formatted FAT32 out of the box but I tried formatting NTFS during all this so had to change that back. I'm running Win 7 so needed 3rd party software to accomplish this. FYI I tried exFAT just to see and got "unrecognized device", this was expected.

1) I used "FAT32 Format" to re-format the 128 gig drive back to FAT32 from NTFS.

2) Then used "mp3DirSorter" to properly organize the folders & files on the drive so the 8000NEX would see them in the proper order.

This has worked very well so far and the mp3 sorting took only a second or two to run so no issues using this every time changes are made. By the way this should allow proper sorting for any music device that has this same sorting problem.

Also the software I used is free and is just stuff I found while searching for a solution to the sorting issue. I'm not endorsing the programs in any way.

This still needs to be fixed in the NEX software itself.