AVIC411.com

ALAC is a hack that Apple put into place in the face of a perfectly good codec that was (1) free and (2) lossless, including a public reference implementation.  They tried to force licensing and proprietary uptake of it for close to 10 years, abandoning that model only after it failed to gain traction.  This is their business model and has been repeated time and time again.

Pioneer adopted (not surprisingly) the freely available, with reference implementation, industry standard for lossless music files.  That a minority of people who bought a product that was known to come with a walled garden are now butt-sore as a consequence isn't Pioneer's problem, it's yours -- you knowingly purchased a product that is the antithesis of competition and open standards.

The complaint is IMHO misplaced and what you seek to accomplish can be.  The pressure should be aimed at Apple -- to support FLAC, not the other way around.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Microsoft should force Apple to use WMA. ALAC works fine for apple and even HD Tracks and B&W offer downloads so the "industry standard" label does not go far.

If anything iTunes and iPod are more of an industry standard than FLAC. If Apple offered 1TB iPhones my music would be in ALAC and played through my phone and I wouldn't need a USB drive. 

Again, we get it. You do not use Apple, do not like the company or their products. Why do you care?

I searched for the best lossless cd ripping software for Mac, and there was a lot of talk about dbpoweramp, but was windows app. I found they have a beta app for mac and downloaded it. I am going to rip a few cds in FLAC, to see if I can see(hear) the difference. If there is a good deal of difference, i will start ripping again. I just replaced my 240gb ssd with my ripped dvds with a 480gb ssd, so that leaves me with a 240 to start my FLAC collection. 

I am not aware of a Mac application like EAC; there are many that will make FLAC files, but EAC has access to a database and is able to verify (in most cases) that the rip was accurate at the bit level from the original CD media.  It also has the ability to access both forward error correction (if your drive supports it) and "simple" CRC-style retries if not.

Some people cannot hear the difference between a moderately high bit-rate MP3 and a FLAC file.  I can and the difference is not small, provided the equipment I'm listening to it on is of sufficient quality (both my near-field setup on my home PC and my car are good enough.)

Is the additional quality worth the monstrous size difference in the files?  That's up to you, but these days storage is cheap.

• 2 years later...