AVIC411.com

I'm using a 32g sd card not a ipod

That's why my post started "Get and connect an iPod."

Using an SD card you have to go FLAC if you want lossless playback.  BTW, iTunes does not support FLAC.  You'll have to use other means to convert.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to bother hooking up my ipod if I dont have too. THats the great thing about the sd card slot no wires no fuss

The other side of the coin is the HU does not support ALAC, playlists, or gap-less playback... and it really shouldn't be that hard to include these features.

I agree on the playlists and gapless playback, but if Apple demands a royalty for ALAC, I say Pioneer should respond "Bite Me!"

Seems to me Pioneer is already in bed with Apple to some degree with the tentatively imminent certification of CarPlay.  ALAC should be a drop in the bucket by comparison.  Heck, there are free computer media players that support ALAC.  How do you suppose Apple gets royalties from their developers?

FLAC is an open specification and works (well); Apple, as they did with USB charging, is playing games (again) when there was utterly no reason to do so.  They have a minority of the device market at present and shrinking; they're not exactly in a place where they dictate terms.

Apple no longer holds a majority of the market share; in fact, it's about a third on phones now, down almost 10% y/o/y.

The "we're the fanboi and tweeny must-have" game is fading, as fads always do.

Apple has always strove to lock you into their accessories and "other things" dating back to the original Macs.  In the portable device arena they started that crap with their "custom" implementation of the "fast" charger USB protocol (there already was an industry standard -- shorted data pins; Apple decided that a voltage divider across them was what they'd use) which is why you now can't buy a single USB charger that will fast-charge BOTH Apple units AND every other device out there.  Then, not satisfied to have fragmented that market on purpose (and unhappy that people reverse-engineered the voltage divider requirements; after all, they were rather trivial) they changed the connector ("lightning"), instantly destroying compatibility with hundreds of other manufacturer's add-on products (e.g. nightstand alarm clocks, etc.) that had sold through millions of units worldwide.

ALAC is just another example of this; FLAC has existed since 2001 and was originally released both as an open format and a free reference implementation.  Rather than adopt what already works (really well) and is cross-platform Apple again did their usual crass crap of attempting to force people to remain within their "walled garden."

The same is true for iTunes; with essentially every other device out there you can simply copy media files to the device's storage and it will play them.  Only Apple insists that you use their software to do so, and we have now found out that as soon as you allow that connection your iPhone's security is permanently destroyed as the unit exchanges a keyring with the computer that bypasses all encryption permanently.  If that keyring is compromised (say, by a virus or physical theft of your machine) remote and unprompted access to damn near everything on your device goes with it.  Worse, said access cannot be revoked except by a hard reset of the phone or tablet in question.  The intentional design decision renders any pretense of enterprise (or regulated industry, say much less individual) security an utter and complete farce.  Oh, and the best part of it is that Apple doesn't disclose this either; it was discovered by forensic researchers and has been present in every version of IOS (including the current ones) going all the way back.

The correct response to this sort of thing by consumers would be to say "Bite Me!" rather than molly-coddling a company that has demonstrated every intent to lock you into their garden by any means possible and make available to them anything on your device they might want access to, ever.

I very much appreciate that Pioneer (finally) supported FLAC; the presence of an open-source, royalty-free and cross-platform lossless audio format on these head units is in fact the reason I bought a NEX over competing products.

SO what's the program for cds to Flac?

There are many out there.  I'm a Windoze-only user, so not sure about Mac's.

I use dBpoweramp for ripping CD's to ALAC format, but it'll do FLAC also.  I use it to convert FLAC to ALAC.  I believe I read somewhere the trial version will revert to a free version after the trial expires and the free version will still do FLAC rips.

I use MediaMonkey as a library and playlist manager.  I believe it'll also rip CD's to FLAC.

I think WinAmp is another choice among a multitude of others.

Apple no longer holds a majority of the market share; in fact, it's about a third on phones now, down almost 10% y/o/y.

The "we're the fanboi and tweeny must-have" game is fading, as fads always do.

Apple has always strove to lock you into their accessories and "other things" dating back to the original Macs.  In the portable device arena they started that crap with their "custom" implementation of the "fast" charger USB protocol (there already was an industry standard -- shorted data pins; Apple decided that a voltage divider across them was what they'd use) which is why you now can't buy a single USB charger that will fast-charge BOTH Apple units AND every other device out there.  Then, not satisfied to have fragmented that market on purpose (and unhappy that people reverse-engineered the voltage divider requirements; after all, they were rather trivial) they changed the connector ("lightning"), instantly destroying compatibility with hundreds of other manufacturer's add-on products (e.g. nightstand alarm clocks, etc.) that had sold through millions of units worldwide.

ALAC is just another example of this; FLAC has existed since 2001 and was originally released both as an open format and a free reference implementation.  Rather than adopt what already works (really well) and is cross-platform Apple again did their usual crass crap of attempting to force people to remain within their "walled garden."

The same is true for iTunes; with essentially every other device out there you can simply copy media files to the device's storage and it will play them.  Only Apple insists that you use their software to do so, and we have now found out that as soon as you allow that connection your iPhone's security is permanently destroyed as the unit exchanges a keyring with the computer that bypasses all encryption permanently.  If that keyring is compromised (say, by a virus or physical theft of your machine) remote and unprompted access to damn near everything on your device goes with it.  Worse, said access cannot be revoked except by a hard reset of the phone or tablet in question.  The intentional design decision renders any pretense of enterprise (or regulated industry, say much less individual) security an utter and complete farce.  Oh, and the best part of it is that Apple doesn't disclose this either; it was discovered by forensic researchers and has been present in every version of IOS (including the current ones) going all the way back.

The correct response to this sort of thing by consumers would be to say "Bite Me!" rather than molly-coddling a company that has demonstrated every intent to lock you into their garden by any means possible and make available to them anything on your device they might want access to, ever.

I very much appreciate that Pioneer (finally) supported FLAC; the presence of an open-source, royalty-free and cross-platform lossless audio format on these head units is in fact the reason I bought a NEX over competing products.

You must be one of those droid, apple haters I hear so much about. See, here in America, we have free choice. We can choose to buy the products that we like, and that work well for our lifestyle. I happen to buy apple products because they are well engineered and just plain work. I am also an engineer and a software developer who does not want to spend all of my time playing with widgets and the startup screen for kicks. I have more important things to do. You have the ability to choose what you want as well. You have that right.

Now, as to some of your comments, I think they are beyond the scope of this forum. But since you brought a few things up, let me at least correct you on a couple of things. The security paring that you are referencing is for diagnostic information and for enterprise uses. The Apple ecosystem is by far the most secure when It comes to data and virusus. As an android user your must (or should) reliaze the risks your platform has in the way of security and viruses. The entire google android operating system was created to collect user information and push adds back to the user. Google exists to collect as much information as possible about you so they can market to you better and to sell that information to their advertisers. As business owner, I do not allow any of my employees to use an android phone for busienss.

Change brings innovation. If we stick with the same old cable connection, pin out or compression standard, we get stuck in the past. I applaud Apple in their many innovations over the years. The phone you are holding in your hand right now, is what it is because of the original iPhone and the change it brought about. Remember the Blackberry?

Now, as to some of your comments, I think they are beyond the scope of this forum. But since you brought a few things up, let me at least correct you on a couple of things. The security paring that you are referencing is for diagnostic information and for enterprise uses.

Uh, no, it's not.  Indeed, most of what is made available has no conceivable diagnostic purpose.  Further, the entire premise of an encrypted device (if you've enabled encryption) is that the locus of authorization never leaves that device.

(I've done this sort of thing -- security and forensics -- for more two decades.  You're preaching BS at a bishop here..)

And finally, I don't care for the so-called "security model" on Android either, having ported Android to two different devices and thus having quite-intimate knowledge of its security model on both an operating system and application basis.  My personal phone, incidentally, is a BlackBerry Z10.

Bringing one's anti-Apple rhetoric to a conversation about an Apple codec is nothing more than a thread fart.

You've made your feelings known with other comments in other threads. We get it. You don't like Apple and don't use their products. This thread should not concern you then.