AVIC411.com

Is the CarPlay firmware update going to screw up iPhone mirroring?

I am just curious. I had an AVIC 5000NEX which I could never get mirroring to work even with $150.00 in cables (VGA+Lightning adapter). Almost sure that it was software related. Now I have the 7000NEX with HDMI and mirroring works perfect. I am a little bit afraid that when Pioneer rolls out the Car Play firmware update they might screw the mirroring up because I spoke to a Pioneer representative and they indicated that they don't officially support mirroring, just their "wonderful and intuitive" AppRadio mode. 

Carplay and mirroring don't work off the same connection.

Mirroring for Appradio mode works through the hdmi port for the video and audio, and through bluetooth to control the phone.

Carplay on the other hand is a usb affair. You don't use the HDMI in this case, and Bluetooth is not required.

Even with carplay, hdmi mirroring will still be an option. However you will not be able to run carplay and mirroring at the exact same time from the same device. You would need two separate connections. One with the hdmi adaptor and one with a straight lighting to use cable.

Now the question that really deserves asking is how will pioneer handle carplay? My guess is that they will have an option in the devices tab like they do with Bluetooth vs usb vs digital avi, which would mean you can't switch on the fly from Appradio apps to carplay apps by just swapping cables.

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read it automatically works when you plug in the phone via lightning cable. No need for configuration. Since Appradio works through HDMI and USB port 1 that should still be there ( Not that AppRaio is any good ). 

By the way. Right now I have the RGB cable connected and the USB to PORT 1. Why? Because I had purchased it before for AppRadio mode for the 5000NEX. If I connect the USB extension cord to USB PORT 1 and use HDMI will I be able to use AppRadio mode like that? So then I would be able to just sell the RGB cable with the VGA adapter. $150.00 wasted there. Let me know, thanks in advance! 

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read it automatically works when you plug in the phone via lightning cable. No need for configuration. Since Appradio works through HDMI and USB port 1 that should still be there ( Not that AppRaio is any good ). 

By the way. Right now I have the RGB cable connected and the USB to PORT 1. Why? Because I had purchased it before for AppRadio mode for the 5000NEX. If I connect the USB extension cord to USB PORT 1 and use HDMI will I be able to use AppRadio mode like that? So then I would be able to just sell the RGB cable with the VGA adapter. $150.00 wasted there. Let me know, thanks in advance! 

Update: I tried it with the RGB and no-go. Gonna try AppRadio mode with the HDMI and USB 1 port. 

The issue is that as far as I've been able to tell, the Apple Digital Video adapter's Lightning port is only connected to the charging pins, so there's no physical way it would work to leave it connected that way. Stupid design but that's how it is (unless I've been mislead!).