AVIC411.com

Steering wheel control/wired remote button for Siri

Has anyone found a steering wheel control that will trigger Siri?  I know I can press the middle button on the unit, but it would be even nicer if I could keep my hands on the wheel.

I have the AVH-4000NEX installed in my 2007 Jeep Patriot with the PAC RP4-CH11 adapter.  I know how to customize which of my steering wheel controls map to which wired remote setting, but none of the ones I tried seemed to work.  Here's a list of the wired remote signals the adapter can send to the unit:

• Volume +            —Works
  • Volume -             —Works
  • Mute                   —Didn't test
  • Preset +              —Didn't test
  • Preset -              —Didn't test
  • Source                —Didn't test
  • Track +               —Works
  • Track -                —Works
  • Band                   —Didn't test
  • Phone Menu       —Brings up the phone screen, but does nothing useful
  • Answer Call        —Answers a call (but can't end it, which is annoying)
  • End Call              —Ends a call
  • Voice Activation  —Did nothing when I tried it

The only thing is I had Voice Activation set up for a long-press command, rather than a normal tap.  Is it possible it requires a long-press, like the center button?  In other words, maybe I need to wire it to a short-press button, but hold it longer.

Setting up these buttons is a huge pain, since you have to press the set button and the steering wheel buttons in exactly the right order, and it only has a 7 second timeout.  :sad:

On my gmc Sierra 1500 2006 with the PAC module I programmed the prgm key for voice activation and pressing and holding brings up Siri. Yeah programming the unit was a pain but once you get a handle on it it's not too bad. Luckily my installer put it where it was easy to get to do it wasn't that difficult whb I was testing an hanging things.

I have the Metra unit and programmed the mute button long press for "PTT" (push to talk) and had no idea if it would do anything, but it activates Siri! I have the 8000 set to USB connection I believe, but it works when I'm just connected via Bluetooth as well.

I have the idatalink Maestro SW... It works fantastic and is SUPER easy to program! The SW is fully supported by the AVICs... Only the RR needs the new firmware to work (minus the gauges feature). My 2010 4Runner doesn't support the extra features of the RR anyway.

What are the other features which will be added that don't function now?

The RR allows for smart car integration, such as Ford Sync. It automatically talks to your car's infotainment computer and integrates your stock bluetooth mic, stock Sirius/XM antenna, stock USB and AUX, stock computerized climate control, voice commands specific to your car, etc into your AVIC NEX. For some reason, Pioneer decided not to allow the gauges display to function. This would have showed engine status, mileage, voltages, etc.

The RR allows for smart car integration, such as Ford Sync. It automatically talks to your car's infotainment computer and integrates your stock bluetooth mic, stock Sirius/XM antenna, stock USB and AUX, stock computerized climate control, voice commands specific to your car, etc into your AVIC NEX. For some reason, Pioneer decided not to allow the gauges display to function. This would have showed engine status, mileage, voltages, etc.

Okay, so, in theory, someone with a Ford or similar can push a button ("my vehicle" or something) and change their climate control just like on stock unit -- given the lack of gauges, I just figured this sort of stuff wouldn't be integrated.