AVIC411.com

avic d3 vs. kenwood dnx7100

i too am considering the d3. for those who have already pulled the trigger on it, did you consider the new kenwood dnx7100? it's got Garmin application software and NAVTEQ database built in on an SD card, bigger screen, tilt screen options with pretty much all the same features as the d3 for slightly more in price. what do you guys think?

here's a link to specs on the kenwood.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENDNX7100

thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest THE OP

Yes, I am considering the DNX7100 also. I heard it has the flash based navigation, meaning you can use cd/dvd and navi without disc swapping. I am also trying to find out how else this compares to the D3.

I found it for $1200 so its almost in the same price range but I can't find additional info on it.

DECISIONS :!:

Guest THE OP

Yeah Nolaz! I was saving up for that supercharger for my Z but...

Anyway, this DNX7100 looks real nice. I am seriously considering this one after looking at that link you sent. The built in nav is a real good feature. It even has a built in usb hookup and IPOD connection without the addon you will need for the D3. :shock:

Looks good so far. Waiting on some negative reviews on it, if any.

Be sure to try one hands one first. I have the DDX-6019 and

- ipod integration is horrible

- zero decent options for the backgrounds and no graphics

- interface is not intuitive and difficult to navigate

Hopefully they changed it all from my model, which is why I have a D3 on order

Be sure to try one hands one first. I have the DDX-6019 and

- ipod integration is horrible

- zero decent options for the backgrounds and no graphics

- interface is not intuitive and difficult to navigate

Hopefully they changed it all from my model, which is why I have a D3 on order

I'm very surprised to hear your review. I didn't hear you say anything about the Garmin navigation, which I expect is simple to use, and accurate...I've had many Garmin units, and they're a breeze to use right out of the box.

As far as the Ipod control, I played w/my neighbors Z1, and the Ipod interface is absolutely inexcusably awful...when you scroll by artists, you get 8 at a time, and have to go to another page....yawn....I was going to hook up either the Kenwood, or the Pioneer through A/V inputs, so you can scroll on the Ipod itself, or do the blue wire mod on the Pioneer for Ipod control.

As far as the background, I hear everyone make a big deal out of that, but what should matter is the audio, navigation, bluetooth, satellite, simplicity of interface, and user functions....at least that's my .02cents.

DNX7100: Approximately 6 million points of interest (POI)

Pioneer D3: 12 million points of interest (POI)

When you travel and want to get sth, which unit is sweeter ?

A built-in navi memory with 50% less POI unit ? or a FULLY DETAILED unit even with phone number?

To me, I rather want a FULLY DETAILED database unit.

Im confused. Both brand are audibly the same between Pioneer and Kenwood except for FM radio where Pioneer wins. You mentioned bluetooth...How is that with the Kenwood??? GARBAGE. What do mean Satellite? The pioneer gets both sat radio brands so I dont really understand that point unless you were voting for that HD radio thingy that nobody buys. Interface and functionality are defintitely better on the Z1 because of the hard drive. Did I miss your point other than the slow ipod control? If so, buy a D3

I'm very surprised to hear your review. I didn't hear you say anything about the Garmin navigation, which I expect is simple to use, and accurate...I've had many Garmin units, and they're a breeze to use right out of the box.

As far as the Ipod control, I played w/my neighbors Z1, and the Ipod interface is absolutely inexcusably awful...when you scroll by artists, you get 8 at a time, and have to go to another page....yawn....I was going to hook up either the Kenwood, or the Pioneer through A/V inputs, so you can scroll on the Ipod itself, or do the blue wire mod on the Pioneer for Ipod control.

As far as the background, I hear everyone make a big deal out of that, but what should matter is the audio, navigation, bluetooth, satellite, simplicity of interface, and user functions....at least that's my .02cents.

Guest THE OP

Definetely on the fence about this one now. The Points of Interest issue and the price are swaying me towards the D3 but the features of the Kenwood are nice. Damn. I need a beer.

Also, just wondering, the specs for the Kenwood state that the sceen is aHigh-Definition Active Matrix Color TFT Panel. Is this the same as the D3 as for the High Definition factor? Or does the Kenwood have a better screen. I know it's a larger screen but just wondering about the HighDef.

I do not have the navigation attached to my 6019.

The bluetooth module is average. I have a motorola Q and it works OK, but none of the advanced functions work. Such as moving my phone book to the unit. Some people say I don't sound clear.

The pre-outs are only 2 volt on my unit.

Im confused. Both brand are audibly the same between Pioneer and Kenwood except for FM radio where Pioneer wins. You mentioned bluetooth...How is that with the Kenwood??? GARBAGE. What do mean Satellite? The pioneer gets both sat radio brands so I dont really understand that point unless you were voting for that HD radio thingy that nobody buys. Interface and functionality are defintitely better on the Z1 because of the hard drive. Did I miss your point other than the slow ipod control? If so, buy a D3

yes, you missed my point...I wasn't giving a review...I was merely stating that I don't understand the big concern with backgrounds, and I listed the things that I thought were important..i.e. nav, bt, sat, ease of use, etc...

as Arthur said, "this is a tough room."

My bad. I thought you meant you could get one deck that was the best at all those features. Sorry
j

To be completely honest, if I DID think that I could get one deck that was the best at all those features, I'd have bought it by now. I spend most of my research time on this forum, even though it's dedicated to only one of the brands I'm considering..because I can't find another forum w/more knowlegeable people....I'm reading about the upcoming Alpine IVA-W205, with new Blackbird/the Kenwood DNX7100/even the one din JVC-KDNX5000. Time is on my side because the harnesses aren't out for my ride, although I"m hoping that a certain someone on this forum, from Ft Lauderdale, will get me through the install without a harness.

What to do?