AVIC411.com

GPS issue, "Positioning not Possible"

I've had my AVIC 6000 in for 2 months now and no issues until this weekend.  I went to navigation and got the message on the attached photo.  My first thought was that maybe the GPS antenna wire was binding somewhere and had been pinched or cut or possibly came unplugged.  I pulled the head unit yesterday and it was fine.  I even did a reset of the system and it did nothing to help.  Any suggestions? 

20140616 192211

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with someone from Pioneer and he said it sounded like something was wrong.  Well duh!  I'm going to give Crutchfield a plug.  I ordered the stereo from them over 2 months ago.  They are sending me a new one instead of having me return it to Pioneer even though it is passed the time that they have to do that and instead of me sending the bad one back first, they are sending the replacement immediately.

• 1 month later...

Mine says something to the effect of looking for GPS signal.  And mab6680 I think your correct about the time.  My time reset and it appears as though it can't be set manually.  I take it that it gets the time from the satellite?  I tried everything I could think of to fix it but nothing I have done so far resolved the issue.  I unplugged the wiring harness, hit the reset button, no joy. :(

The same thing happened to my Avic-7000nex this morning.  I installed the radio on Friday and today Tuesday it had the same problem:

Drove the whole way to work without the GPS working, same errors as pictured above.  When I got to work I turned my car off and back on and the radio seemed OK after that, but after spending $800+ on a radio, I'm wondering if I should just exchange it where I bought it (as I'm still within the return period window). 

Any recommendations?

2nv3tcx.jpg

maybe contact pioneer or the place you bought it?

Thanks, that was my feeling.  I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else, is it a 'one time event'   or should I be concerned that this may be an intermittent problem?

Its just that if I could get an advanced exchange, its a no brainer to swap it out (as I'd assume the GPS antenna wire is OK) as I'd just keep all the existing wires in place (wiring harness, pbrake wire, tachometer wire, reverse indicator, gps antenna and bluetooth mic).   But if I had to uninstall everything, only to get a new one and redo everything, thats a 2-3 hours of cumulative labor I'd like to avoid.

I just have no confidence that it won't happen again.