AVIC411.com

GPS issue, "Positioning not Possible"

Did you install yourself?

I did.  And everything was working fine from last Friday through Monday when I got home.  Woke up this morning, started up the car and got that error.

I've installed all my own stereos, car auto starters etc for the past almost 20 years, so this isn't my first time through the process.  The install went smooth and up until today, everything was fine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the case, do a quick run through of your install just to be sure nothing is screwy with the GPS antenna/connection. I am sure you have tried a hard reset of the system already?

Contacting pioneer is just going to result in them telling you to send it in for warranty repair. If I was in your shoes I would go to the shop you made the purchase at and talk to them about it. They could be helpful or try to push the blame onto you as you did the install on your own since they didn't get the easy money from doing the install, but hopefully that isn't the case. 

Hope you can get it sorted quickly man. Must be a real drag to have a big part of the system non-functional. 

If that is the case, do a quick run through of your install just to be sure nothing is screwy with the GPS antenna/connection. I am sure you have tried a hard reset of the system already?

I'll double check all my connections, and unseat / reseat the GPS antenna (I had to pull the unit out anyway to install a newly acquired ultra thin HDMI cable).

I didn't try the hard reset, but I'll do that if the above didn't change anything.  So far it was a one off occurance but I've only started the car twice since I had the issue (once this morning,  issue present, then got to work... shut the car off then back on to see ...and it was ok).

does it still say autodetecting gps? is your time/date wrong

This morning when it happened, I hadn't tried the hard reset,  so the clock was still accurate from yesterday when it was still able to 'see' the GPS hardware.  It did say "autodetecting gps receiver" my entire commute in, and when I dug into the settings of the GPS, I remember the first line said something like "GPS Status" and the status was "NOK" (assuming to mean NOT OK).

Got to work, turned off the ignition.  Start the car back and and everything seemed ok.  It said "searching for GPS signal" at the top instead of "autodetecting gps receiver" but I was in the parking deck so that made sense.

OK just went out for lunch and the radio is operating normally.  GPS fully functional now.   Still worried that if it randomly happened 4 days post-install, that it could happen in another 4 days, a week, whenever!

Quick update,  +1 day since the incident occurance and the unit has been fine ever since.  I will be pulling it out over the next day or 2 to install an HDMI cable for app radio purposes, and will reseat the GPS antenna wire at that time.

Crossing my fingers it continues to be ok.  One more error like this and its getting exchanged.

So the unit has performed flawlessly over the past week +, so I'll chock it up to a one-off event.  And if it comes back, well then I have the warranty.

Enjoying the unit over all (playing around with app radio, HDMI input etc) and just await airplay.

Thanks for all the replies earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my AVIC 6000 in for 2 months now and no issues until this weekend.  I went to navigation and got the message on the attached photo.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday on my 8000 NEX. Like the other poster, the problem went away after turning the car off and back on.

Unnerving, to say the least.

• 2 months later...

Same issue here in Canada bought my AVIC 8000 NEX,November 1st installed it myself on the 6th,and on 16th it gives me the infomus no GPS screen.Realy pissed considering it's in the car for less than two weeks.Still have my AVIC-Z150 so I will be taking this crap 8000 NEX back to Future Shop for replacement,nice thing the Z150 power connector is identical to the new NEX series.

• 3 months later...

+1   On my AVIC8000NEX had the autodetecting GPS screen,  happens mostly when vehicle is cold on first start,  turn off then back on and its fine.

"Positioning not possible due to the hardware

Please contact your dealer or Pioneer service

center."

Spoke with someone at Pioneer,   they have seen the issue,  send in for repair.

• 1 year later...

I know, old thread, but I saw this exact same screen message on my AVIC-5200NEX, manufactured August 2016, I have it for less than a month. After stopping and turning the ignition off then on, it re-started to work.

Can you believe that after almost 3 years they have not corrected this problem?!?