AVIC411.com

How do you set up the rear view camera?

I have the 8000. I purchased this camera off Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU4F74K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Red wire is getting 12V DC (checked with multimeter)

Black wire is grounded (has continuity to black wire on radio)

Yellow video jack is plugged into camera input on radio, but I'm not getting any video. Tried two different RCA cables (both 75 ohms)

The unit switches to the camera when in reverse but all black display.

I tried ground and positive for camera polarity, neither worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

There are two camera inputs on the back. You need to plug into the brown RCA jack on the back of the pioneer, and enable the backup camera option in the tools menu.

I have my backup camera power comming from the backup ligh, so it only gets power when I put the gear in reverse.

There are two camera inputs on the back. You need to plug into the brown RCA jack on the back of the pioneer, and enable the backup camera option in the tools menu.

I have my backup camera power comming from the backup ligh, so it only gets power when I put the gear in reverse.

Exactly what he said, DO NOT PLUG CAMERA into the yellow dongle, plug it into the jack on the back of the nex, also hook up the reverse wire on the nex to your reverse light wire

Holy moly. This has been exhaustively covered in this forum -- search for it. Not to mention that book that came with the radio tells you exactly how to do this.

More importantly, am I the only one who thinks "thanks in advance" is extremely rude? Why not just say thank you after someone helps you?

The head unit has to know when it is in reverse to show the camera. Some cameras like the one i got. the red power wire hooks up to one of the reverse lights, that powers the camera, now, if your camera has a red wire coming out with the yellow rca plug that goes to the brown rca plug in back of head unit, then hook up the red wire to the reverse sensing wire that comes out of the nex, marked reverse hook up(this tells the nex to initiate reverse camera input. Now if your camera did not come with red going to head unit alongside the yellow rca wire then you need to run a wire from the reverse light to the head unit. A lot of people, including me had this problem at first hookup.  The camera and the head unit both, needs to be hooked up to the reverse light to work properly. I looked at the camera you purchased, but it was hard to see if the red wire ran the length of the vehicle with the long rca cable.

My camera (Power Acoustik CCD-4XS) had two power leads. One that ran with the RCA, and one that was meant to run to the backup light. I ended up only hooking up the backup light end, and that worked fine for my install.

Now, the issue could have a simpler solution. My first installation of my camera, (which is very small and symmetrical) was upside down. I found this during my testing before running the RCA though the inside of the car. With that in mind, make sure there are no obstructions or other issues..(camera backwards etc.. Hey, it happens).

Plus, you can always check the camera by connecting it to any 12 volt wire, ground it and hook up the RCA to a composite compatible display or TV. Remove the radio for the equation and just test the camera.

My camera (Power Acoustik CCD-4XS) had two power leads. One that ran with the RCA, and one that was meant to run to the backup light. I ended up only hooking up the backup light end, and that worked fine for my install.

Now, the issue could have a simpler solution. My first installation of my camera, (which is very small and symmetrical) was upside down. I found this during my testing before running the RCA though the inside of the car. With that in mind, make sure there are no obstructions or other issues..(camera backwards etc.. Hey, it happens).

Plus, you can always check the camera by connecting it to any 12 volt wire, ground it and hook up the RCA to a composite compatible display or TV. Remove the radio for the equation and just test the camera.

What head unit do you have? 2nd, if the wire that ran with the rca cable was not hooked up to the head unit reverse wire, what is making your screen show the video? I know it will work that way, but if you are watching a movie, and have the camera(not the reverse camera setting) on, then every 5 seconds, the screen show the rear view camera shot and has to be touched to go back to video. Once i hooked up that wire to the head unit, the back up video only comes on when i am in reverse, and as soon as i go to drive, the movie i am playing comes back on and stays on. Just curious, that is all.

I have the lead wire hooked up to the reverse light wire at the tail light, so it is only hot when the car is in reverse. With the camera RCA plug hooked up to my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX (brown RCA jack on unit), the backup camera is only engaged when the car is in reverse.

The purple reverse light wire from the head unit needs to be wired to the main dash harness reverse light wire. I am using the maestro RR and a F01 after market wiring harness to attach to the stock car radio plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

The proper way to connect a reverse/rear view camera is follows:

red wire from camera to red wire from head unit.

black wire from camera to black wire from head unit.

rca wire from camera to rear view camera jack on head unit. (brown)

reverse wire from head unit connected to back up light.

This way you get full function of camera including the ability to view camera while driving. Connecting the red wire from the camera to the back up light will not offer you rear view

My camera and NEX were professionally installed.  Everything described above was installed in my car.  My problem seems to be isolated. 

Basically:

When car is running on battery, putting car in reverse shows the rear camera.  Going back to Park reverts to picture back to either maps or source.

Changing Camera View setting to On, shows camera until I hit any button.

When car is fully running, putting car in reverse does NOT show camera.  No matter what I try, it does not come on.  Changing Camera View setting to On, will show the camera properly and reverts back when I hit any button.

Camera polarity setting is set to Battery.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input. First of all, the first camera I had was defective. Wired it up to constant 12V and could not get a picture on another TV. I got a second camera and got it to work with "camera view" ON, but could not get it to work with "back camera input" ON. I guess my problem was the yellow input vs. the brown input. The yellow input has a tag on it that says "camera input" so that is why I used that one. I will try switching it to see if that fixes everything.

You are correct, nolarola, that this is covered in other places on the forum and in the installation manual; however they don't really cover the issue I was having (I now know was a defective camera) so I thought I would post here. You may think it's rude to say thanks in advance, other people think it's polite. I think it's rude to make a post without having anything useful to contribute to the conversation.

dlane2155, i agree with your last paragraph. I have been in different forums for 15 years, and "thanks in advance" has been an accepted courtesy on all forums.

Vblue42, i wish i had wired mine that way, but my camera had pos and neg wires at the camera, and would have had to run two wires along with the rca wire. Done deal now, but i do have rear camera when in reverse. Thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...

The proper way to connect a reverse/rear view camera is follows:

red wire from camera to red wire from head unit.

black wire from camera to black wire from head unit.

rca wire from camera to rear view camera jack on head unit. (brown)

reverse wire from head unit connected to back up light.

This way you get full function of camera including the ability to view camera while driving. Connecting the red wire from the camera to the back up light will not offer you rear view

Thanks for the wiring challenged description. I was googling trying to figure out my issue., threw out the directions followed what you said. I tapped power off my reverse light positive on my tail light.

Works as advertised. Switches to camera when in reverse, or if I select camera it still works.

• 2 months later...

Here is what I did and it worked fine. My camera is the brandmotion 9002-8838(its grainy at night which I'm pissed about).

Got an idatalink wiring harness for chysler vehicles. 

I ran all the wires from the trunk to the back of the head unit. 

Red camera wire to red wire in the harness

Black camera wire to black wire in the harness

Green camera wire(this is the back up wire for brand motion) to the purple white wire in the harness.

RCA into the brown input in the back of the pioneer unit. 

2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JKU with the stock non nav radio, no amp either

Upgraded to:

Pioneer 8100 NEX

Brandmotion 9002-8838

kept the Uconnnect module connected, but disconnected the USB part of it and used the 2 USB inputs that the Pioneer head unit gives you.