AVIC411.com

Tips, etc. install 8000NEX in 1.5 DIN location

Going to be installing an 8000NEX in a conversion van (2000 Chevy Express base).  The OEM unit is larger than single din yet smaller than double din, and also had the premium package with CD drive below it.  Currently has a single din HU installed with aftermarket adapter and an OEM utility pocket replacing the CD drive.  Here's a picture an OEM unit with the pocket I found on 'net...

hqdefault.jpg

Not currently concerned with actual mounting of the unit behind the instrument panel bezel.   With the OEM unit not being double din to begin with, I'm not having any luck finding an easy means to make the trim out respectable.  An aftermarket bezel with double din opening would be ideal.  Otherwise, I'll have to cut out the 'bar' between the OEM unit and pocket in the picture.  While cutting it presents no problem, it leaves the problem of concealing or somehow trimming out the cut edges.

Suggestions, tips, recommendations, any help at all appreciated :)

Personally I would rather have the temp controls moved down, if there isn't stuff blocking inside the dash and custom install the nex up top, then make, or have made a custom faceplate. I don't like the radio so low, I don't like having to look down so far.

Personally I would rather have the temp controls moved down, if there isn't stuff blocking inside the dash and custom install the nex up top, then make, or have made a custom faceplate. I don't like the radio so low, I don't like having to look down so far.

That's a good idea.  Once I get the dash apart, I'll have to check whether the temp controls can be moved to the bottom.  Trim out will still be the big question.

a google search will bring up a number of double din dash kits for your van

Been there, done that.  When you follow the hit links, you'll find that they are not specifically for the 2000 model year... usually later model years.  Then I have run across the ones that say double din, but alas, they are not.  Here's an example:

One of the google hit links leads here...

http://www.brentwoodcaraudio.com/Chevrolet_Radio_Installation_Dash_Kits_s/104.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=104&show=60&page=1

Then find the one on that says its single or double din...

http://www.brentwoodcaraudio.com/Chevy_Express_Radio_Dash_Kit_p/express%201996%20-%202000%20dash%20kit.htm

Take a look at the picture.  It's not a double din kit.

Please provide a direct link if you find one...