AVIC411.com

Apple adds MLB At Bat to list of CarPlay supported apps

What is interesting is that none of these apps listed (besides Podcasts) have listed in their updates that they are carplay ready. I noticed it at the Pioneer Carplay event that didn't have apple in attendance (Not WWDC or the Auto Show) that none of the head units they showed off had any apps. Just the stock Carplay setup. 

I downloaded every app apple has listed. I think when I start seeing those apps list that they are carplay ready in their updates we'll be close to the launch date. 

What apple will most likely do is release the updated apps when CarPlay is ready. They have very few CarPlay app partners right now, only approving a small number of companies and developers for CarPlay compatable apps. I am a IOS developer and I have a cple of ideas for CarPlay apps, but the door is closed right now.

My bet is that you won't see the apps updated until launch day. The only ones available will be the ones they have announced, with others following later.

What apple will most likely do is release the updated apps when CarPlay is ready. They have very few CarPlay app partners right now, only approving a small number of companies and developers for CarPlay compatable apps. I am a IOS developer and I have a cple of ideas for CarPlay apps, but the door is closed right now.

My bet is that you won't see the apps updated until launch day. The only ones available will be the ones they have announced, with others following later.

Well technically Carplay is launched. As far as the iPhone side of it 7.1 is all that is required. Sure no cars or radios are out yet with it, but the phone side of it is done. At least that is the official word from apple. 

And yeah Apple is holding its cards very close as always. Different reps from apple have said in the demos they've shown off that right now they are only approving music apps. I've no doubt that one day they'll open it up, but don't expect Waze or Google Maps for CarPlay in the near future. 

And yeah Apple is holding its cards very close as always. Different reps from apple have said in the demos they've shown off that right now they are only approving music apps. I've no doubt that one day they'll open it up, but don't expect Waze or Google Maps for CarPlay in the near future. 

And that's a limitation of the API itself. Apps cannot present UI, they just provide access to their content. CarPlay itself gets the organized content and displays it with its own UI. I haven't seen any hints that iOS 8 is any different, unfortunately. So it isn't just that they are only approving music apps (which is true), but it is the only type of app CarPlay talks to currently.