AVIC411.com

Carplay news!

So pioneer was a let down these past few days. The new Appradio live app was cool but they teased carplay and we didn't get it. I've been posting on pioneer's facebook page and they actually responded.

"Sorry if the pictures weren't clear. We are giving CarPlay demos in the sound proof booth here at our booth and wanted to share our marketing activities at this event with our followers. We are eagerly awaiting final certification for Apple CarPlay and of course we will let you know as soon as it becomes available."

So pioneer is being held back by apple. Is it because their update isn't good enough yet? Is it because they are letting Ferrari or Mercedes launch their car first? Who knows. However it is apple that is holding back the update. This is why they don't have a date to give us because only apple knows when that is and they aren't talking.

"Sorry if the pictures weren't clear. We are giving CarPlay demos in the sound proof booth here at our booth and wanted to share our marketing activities at this event with our followers. We are eagerly awaiting final certification for Apple CarPlay and of course we will let you know as soon as it becomes available."

So pioneer is being held back by apple. Is it because their update isn't good enough yet? Is it because they are letting Ferrari or Mercedes launch their car first? Who knows. However it is apple that is holding back the update. This is why they don't have a date to give us because only apple knows when that is and they aren't talking.

I think the answer is a little simpler than you suggest with your questions. It is "awaiting final certification" by Apple. This is not a terribly new thing in the electronics industry, especially when you are partnering with another company for a project such as this. This statement confirms that Apple required that partners get their implementations certified before releasing them. That means testing, including tests against certain quality bars (MTTF/MTBF numbers for example). Issues found are reported, and usually required to be fixed before launch. Once it meets that bar, it is certified and ready to go. To be honest, I'd be more surprised if Apple didn't require this. They have their "Made for i" licensing program which would likely require similar certification, and I believe I even read an article around the time the lightning connector came out saying that Apple was getting more strict here.

The cellular industry works on this very principle. If you want to partner with a carrier to sell a phone through them (in order to get the subsidies that make it more attractive to buyers), you also need to pass their certification process before they will sell you in their stores.

Of course, awaiting final certification doesn't mean "imminent release" either. If an issue is found, and required to be fixed, it could be weeks of turn-around from having to certify a new build. If I was Pioneer, I wouldn't be giving dates out at this point either, for that very reason. Not unless I wanted to tempt Murphy's Law.

Apple wouldn't put their name on something that falls short of that...

Except I doubt Apple cares about anything in the update beyond the CarPlay support. They will be looking at disconnects/etc, but I doubt they will be giving Pioneer hell anywhere else. Even the random reboots I get sometimes connecting my iPhone for iPod playback.

Apple wouldn't put their name on something that falls short of that...

From all I've been reading the release is in the hands of Apple. First, they have been updating Maps with POI's and updating addresses. The Maps app has to be ready or "good enough".

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/21/apple-maps-poi-improving/

Also, the August edition of Mac Life just came out with a feature on Carplay where they suggest Apple is controlling everything.

the more we spoke to key manufacturers and developers! the clearer it became that Apple is controlling the relationship...it seems to be the looming specter of Apple stopping companies that are making third-party Carplay apps from talking to us about the process

Interesting, but not too surprising. They have to be very careful to make sure that the apps are not distracting to the driver and can be used in a short number of touches or seconds. This is for all of the OEM's, the after market guys , Apple and Google.

So, anything visual, moving that has a lot of interaction will come later, if ever. Even the maps and videos that are on the radios now have the motion lock and only work (by design..) with the parking break engaged or at below a certain speed.

You can disable the lock, as I have on my 8000 (relay plus the software disable). But, distracted driving will be an issue in the years to come. If the companies producing the hardware and software for connected systesm do not police themselves, then congress will do it for them.