AVIC411.com

Android integration with OEM, lets hope for 3rd party like the NEX

No! Google is in too many places right now. certainly bigger then the bells were. I know there are a lot of people who don't mind trading their personal data for free service. but here you just spent $18k+ to be data mined. to me that is a big no.  plus it doesnt really make sense if the maps are online. 

No! Google is in too many places right now. certainly bigger then the bells were. I know there are a lot of people who don't mind trading their personal data for free service. but here you just spent $18k+ to be data mined. to me that is a big no.  plus it doesnt really make sense if the maps are online. 

If you are using Android, this isn't going to add any new data you aren't already giving Google to be mined. If you aren't using Android, this won't apply to you anyway. It isn't about the car itself, it is a way for the phone to be more accessible from the car. 

I kind of agree with Myke2241. Google is a company that makes their money selling information for advertising. I am not sure that I want them gathering even more information about me. Apple has a different business model and they do not sell any information about on users data. I know some might not mind being data mined, but I do.

I wonder why there is so much distrust and contempt of our government gathering our information, but some seem to feel ok freely giving every personal detail of their life to a company that exploits it for finiancial gain.

I will step off my soap box now...

I kind of agree with Myke2241. Google is a company that makes their money selling information for advertising. I am not sure that I want them gathering even more information about me. Apple has a different business model and they do not sell any information about on users data. I know some might not mind being data mined, but I do.

Assuming an Android user is already using Maps in their car, Google is collecting that data already. This so far isn't new data, but they may get more Android users using their services in the car, which would give them more data.

If you aren't an android user, then this doesn't give them data on you, even if you have a car that supports it. That's all. If you don't like Google, you can avoid this. Much like CarPlay/AppRadio/Etc, everything is running on the phone. The HU is just a connected touch display for your phone in this mode.

I'm not a fan of Google's business model either, but I'm not quite seeing how this is providing them data they aren't already getting from Maps users today, beyond the context of "in the car" attached to music/etc.

This is the reason I paid a small amount of money (under $20) once, to have a local GPS mapping app (with updates provided regularly) on my smartphone.  It works perfectly well with cell reception turned OFF (or where unavailable), and thus leaks nothing back to anyone.

Not one person in a hundred understands how this data mining actually works or how precise it is in aggregate.  I do; I've worked in the general field since the late 1980s, and I assure you none of these firms have any interest in what's good for you -- only for them.  WHEN (not if) that clashes with your interest you will be the one who gets screwed, and in fact it's almost a certainty you already have been and are on a continuing basis today.