AVIC411.com

what is the optimal usb and ssd drive type/size

Ok, so you're right up against the limits.  I would not be surprised if it takes an utterly ridiculous amount of time to index it the first time around -- but I'll bet it is not hung.

What is the limit, I put about 900 gb of music and video files on a 2 tb wd passport drive(NTFS)... it took 6.5 hrs to index,  I got to play 1 song and it went back to re-indexing.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was still reading format after about 6 hours so I stopped it.

Came in and hooked up hard drive to pc. PC will not even read it. It says it is corrupt. I am reformatting it to NTFS and will put a few songs on there to try it.

Anybody have any tips and/or suggestions?

I use a 120GB SSD on my 4000 and it works fine.  Format it in FAT32, however, because you can sort a FAT32 drive -- you CANNOT sort a NTFS one, and Pioneer brain-farted on this particular aspect of things when going through things by artist and album in "file" mode.

I got a WD 500GB USB3 HDD. I have to format it to FAT32. Max capacity for FAT32 is 30GB to be exact. So instead of waste disk space. I have mutiple partition on my HDD. Partition 1(30GB) for all my music and the rest for my junk like videos, pictures, files, etc. Soon I will upgrade to a SSD Drive. Spinning Disk seek time is too slow. Usually takes my AVH-x4600BT up to 5mins if I switch to Music to Photo so I avoid doing that at all cost. LoL..

• 3 weeks later...

I got a WD 500GB USB3 HDD. I have to format it to FAT32. Max capacity for FAT32 is 30GB to be exact. So instead of waste disk space. I have mutiple partition on my HDD. Partition 1(30GB) for all my music and the rest for my junk like videos, pictures, files, etc. Soon I will upgrade to a SSD Drive. Spinning Disk seek time is too slow. Usually takes my AVH-x4600BT up to 5mins if I switch to Music to Photo so I avoid doing that at all cost. LoL..

max capacity for fat32 is not 30gb. My 480gb intel ssd, 256gb samsung ssd, 128gb sdcard are all fat32. They all have been working for a year now in my 4000nex.

max capacity for fat32 is not 30gb. My 480gb intel ssd, 256gb samsung ssd, 128gb sdcard are all fat32. They all have been working for a year now in my 4000nex.

Couldn't get my 128GB SSD to format to Fat32.

Of course, I'm not going to buy any software just to get it to work either.

• 3 months later...

Fat32 has a Soft limit of 32GB per volume/partition in Windows based systems but can be surpassed buy 3rd party software. If you are using a Windows based Computer its hard to believe windows allowed you to format a 480GB, 256GB and 128GB Drives using Fat32... Using the standard formatting tool it shouldn't even be a option. I wouldn't be surprised if the drive was actually formatted NTFS Because that the default setting for drive of that size unless you are using MAC or Linux. Either way the file allocation is very easily corrupted using FAT32, NTFS is the best option for Newer AVIC HU's that support it...

Couldn't get my 128GB SSD to format to Fat32.

Of course, I'm not going to buy any software just to get it to work either.

Doesn't surprise me at all..... But honestly NTFS is a way better File system, Its faster and a lot more reliable then FAT32... Shit exFAT is even better then FAT32

I format my drives using Mac drive utility, and format fat32. I realize NTFS is faster and on my Windows PC, that is what I use. NEX will not read xfat, and fat32 works better for me on the NEX. I originally used NTFS, but I switched because the way it categorized or something, can't remember exactly why. Either way, all my storage hooked up to my NEX is fat32, and never have any problems. If xfat was supported, then NEX would support larger SDCards than 32gb. It does not really matter if NTFS is faster, when USB 2.0 is the bottle neck. Anyway to each his own, someone asks me what works for me, I tell them.

• 2 weeks later...

I format my drives using Mac drive utility, and format fat32. I realize NTFS is faster and on my Windows PC, that is what I use. NEX will not read xfat, and fat32 works better for me on the NEX. I originally used NTFS, but I switched because the way it categorized or something, can't remember exactly why. Either way, all my storage hooked up to my NEX is fat32, and never have any problems. If xfat was supported, then NEX would support larger SDCards than 32gb. It does not really matter if NTFS is faster, when USB 2.0 is the bottle neck. Anyway to each his own, someone asks me what works for me, I tell them.

Honestly with the low bandwidth needed for music and video on the 8100 you should never see the USB 2.0 bottleneck... I am in the process of testing out a quad channel Thumb drive and see if they sell quad channel SD cards....  With this Read speeds would x4

• 4 months later...

I think this problem should be solved by Pionner immediately. It's ridiculous. I had on my old car one CD Player from Pioneer from 2009. It has a SD slot and it starts playing last song immediately after I start the car. Now I've an AVIC-5000NEX and I waited more than 5 minutes and it didn't start to play the song. There is no meaning on this.

It doesn't matter how fast is you SD card or your USB drive or how it is formatted. The problem is the software from Pioneer. I tried the same ammount of music on my Asus Zenfone 2 in a Micro SD card and it plays immediately after it's started. It's the same files, the same operating system. So the only problem is the Pioneer software.

I think we have do send a lot of messagens to Pionner's support and requiring a solution.