AVIC411.com

what is the optimal usb and ssd drive type/size

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody actually tried it with an NTFS formatted drive?

It may well work as I thought NTFS sorted alphabetically by design unlike FAT.

Good question.  With all the members saying ntfs isn't sorted or 'sortable', I had been assuming several had already tried.

I brought my HDD to the local dealer, who plugged the extra USB power connector into an external USB charging port and the data connector to the 4000.  It slowly read the disk for about 20 minutes before hanging at 99%.  Next attempt read it quickly, but hung again at 99%.  Doesn't necessarily mean a HDD won't work, but not what I was hoping for.  It's a WD My Passport Ultra; I have no idea if this is a more power hungry drive than most. 

Yeah, I really thought it would work, as it should have had plenty of power.  It's NTFS, so I might give it another try on FAT32.  It could be that the display unit in the store has an issue or the drive itself, although the drive works fine with every PC it's been attached to.  It also didn't work with both USB connectors plugged into the 4000.  Ultimately, I'm sure it will work with a pair of big SSDs, but that will add over $400 to the total cost. 

I brought my HDD to the local dealer, who plugged the extra USB power connector into an external USB charging port and the data connector to the 4000.  It slowly read the disk for about 20 minutes before hanging at 99%.  Next attempt read it quickly, but hung again at 99%.  Doesn't necessarily mean a HDD won't work, but not what I was hoping for.  It's a WD My Passport Ultra; I have no idea if this is a more power hungry drive than most. 

It will sit at 99% for a LONG time -- but it's still going, it's NOT hung.  Wait.

This is a one-time deal; once it's indexed it comes up in a few seconds on subsequent turn-ons.

It will sit at 99% for a LONG time -- but it's still going, it's NOT hung.  Wait.

This is a one-time deal; once it's indexed it comes up in a few seconds on subsequent turn-ons.

I left the drive with them and they said it sat at 99% for over two hours, after taking about 20 minutes to get to 99%.  Do you think it could really take THAT long?  I'm wondering if an SSD would do the initial load any quicker, or if the lag is based on the the head unit processing the list.  Any thoughts about whether it might work any better on FAT32 vs NTFS? 

How big a drive?

My SSD takes ~10 minutes to index from new and sits for a good long time at "99%" before it's finished -- but it DOES finish.

Once indexed if you change it the drive will go to "99%" more-quickly, but then sit there for several minutes before it completes.  Also normal.

2 hours sounds ridiculously excessive but it might not be if it took 20 minutes to get that far....

This is way I love my iPod Classic. 30,000+ files and instant.

And chances are, those 30,000+ files are not in lossless format.

Going lossless is the only reason I see to go with a larger storage device... the reason I will be attempting to replace my iPod Classic optical HD with an SSD.  I got the mSATA to ZIF adapter earlier this week, but have yet to obtain an SSD.  Currently working on other related matters which have a much higher priority...

Of course they aren't lossless, we've already been through this... ;)

I also like the fact that the player is the iPod itself and the HU is just a controller and audio output.

That gives me Smart Playlists and gapless playback, I haven't tried playing something off SD or USB like Dark Side of the Moon or a live CD but if it can't cope with gapless then it's a non starter for me anyway.