AVIC411.com

Audio issues iPhone 5 using usb?

Hi, I recently bought the nex5000 and had it installed today. I bought a USB cord on Crutchfield that comes from the back of the unit and then I plug my regular iPhone lightning to USB cord into. I assume that I don't need to use the cord that Pioneer recommends. Any one should work, no?

The radio recognized the iPhone fine and I was able to play music quickly, but after a few minutes the sound started to go a little crazy, almost like a radio station losing it's signal or just general distortion/skipping. I unplugged and then plugged it back in and again it sounded ok for a couple of minutes and then it went weird again.

Any idea what might be causing that? I assume that there's no issue with hooking the iPhone up this way. Could it be the cord? Something else?

Thanks

If using iTunes Match, it may be streaming in and lagging a bit. I have match, but I also have all of my songs downloaded directly on my phone. No connectivity issues or data usage problems. But to be honest, I also have all of my music on an SD card as well. I go back and forth using the SD card and using my phone for playing my music collection in the car.

Locally stored. I plug my iPhone into my factory radio in our other car in the same way and have never had this issue. That's what had me thinking it had nothing to do with the phone side of the equation.

Only thing I can think of is to restart your phone and try connecting through a different method. See if streaming to Bluetooth has the same issue. If you have a second phone try and see if the issue repeats itself. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

are you guys using usb1 or usb2 for the iPhone? I am using usb2 with the usb extension that came with unit hooked up to ssd for movies, and am using PAC usb extension for usb1 to iPhone, using as aftermarket lightning cable and have no issues when playing music from phone. granted i very seldom use iPhone for music, 32 gb of music on sdcard. I do subscribe to iTunes match with 20000+ songs and even when streaming, i have only had a short delay at the beginning of the first song, then no problem. I do have LTE most of the time which does help, with 3g the delay may be a little longer.

I've been using USB1 with Apple lightning cable and Pioneer USB extension that came with radio. Tried reseting all settings on the iPhone the other day, and it seemed to help briefly. It's definitely not a buffering thing, it seems to be cutting off the higher frequencies and introducing a kind of buzzing noise. Hard to describe, but annoying once you notice it. Playing music off of SD is fine. Going to try the Android Phone I have laying around. Hoping I don't have to resort to removing the Pioneer USB extension cable, don't feel like rewiring everything. Will report back.  

I own the AVIC-F860 (which seems to be 1:1 the European version of the nex5000) and suffer exactly the same issue - when plugging the iPhone (iPhone 5, OS7) to USB1 or USB2 the music starts to sound clipping/distorted somehow after a couple of minutes, exactly like described here. My workaround: switch the source to (e.g. radio) and back to iPhone again and then everything works perfectly until the HU is switched off. Seems to be a bug on Pioneers' side.

BTW: My wife is reporting the same issue for her Android phone.

I can report that switching the input source from iPod/USB to something else, then back does seem to help.  Honestly though, for the amount of money these units cost, this kind of nonsense is unacceptable.  Playing music from an iDevice is a main feature/function and Pioneer can't implement it correctly? The CarPlay update had better fix this and be flawless in every other way or this thing's going to be eBay-ed as soon as Alpine's CarPlay units hit the shelves.  This kind of bugginess would be tolerable on a Jensen or Audiovox WalMart P.O.S. at half the price, but not on a supposedly premium product. Fix it, Pioneer.  Quit lollygagging around releasing AppRadio crap that's about to be instantly obsoleted, and fix it.