AVIC411.com

NEX: which one and why?

Thank you all so much for replying to my post. All of you have brought up very important points for the 8000 and for the 4000. You all have brought me to not only know but understand why you choose the way you did.

Also the discussion on Apple Maps has been very interesting, as my only experience with Apple Maps is when I used my friend's phone when it came out, and it was horrible. The last iPhone that I have personally owned was an iPhone 4, and I chose to leave the iPhone community because of the particular and overly restrictive design of the iOS. At that point, I decided to leave the iPhone community to join the Android community. Unfortunately I would need to wait for Android Auto to come to fruition before I am going to be able to use my phone as part of my stereo. Therefore, I will need a head unit with navigation. I appologise that I did not forewarn that I am an Android user, however the discussion in regards to Apple Maps and Apple CarPlay has been very informative and intriguing.

Why didn't you say so? With Android there are some very valid observations as well. Definitely do not get the 5000. You need the hdmi port to comminicate well with your NEX for apps. There are rooted mods like appradio unchained for example that will mirror your screen on the device while giving you full control of your device via the touch screen. I do not know the exact specifics since I am not an android user, but there are cool tricks to be had.

I have been told that appradio mode works better on supported android phones because since Google is more open with their hardware android lets pioneer have better control. Although your mileage may vary. Regardless even if you didn't do that, waze is supported by appradio mode, which IMO is a far better mapping solution than what is in the radio.

All NEX units, including the 5000 support mirrorlink. This works like appradio mode, but unlike appradio mode that requires you plug hdmi in with a bunch of adapters and control the device via Bluetooth, mirrorlink works through a simple USB connection just like carplay. Check your phone to see if it supports mirrorlink connectivity.

Finally, Pioneer is a supported parnter for the google open automotive alliance. They haven't yet made any announcements about Android Auto, but when they do, I don't doubt that the NEX line will be supported. Just taking into account that Android auto will probably work in the same fashion as Carplay and Mirrorlink that phone capabilities are transferred to the car via a simple USB connection, and the NEX line can already do this.

Hope that helps. Regardless of what you choose, all the radios are pretty damn fantastic. Pioneer nailed the hardware for the NEX line.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8000 doesn't have a removable screen. Although after a discussion with my mobile audio store guys it seems that cat stereo theft isn't as big an issue as people think.

Most people who steal them want a quick sale, most people who buy units like this want the reassurance of warranty etc and are unlikely to buy a stolen one possible without wiring looms, GPS unit etc which are too much of a hassle to get out of the car if you're after a quick grab and run.

My wife had her car broken into the other week, they didn't even bother trying to get the quite expensive Kenwood out, they just rooted through the glovebox looking for satnav, iPods, phones etc. quick and portable and easy to sell.

$1000 stereos are not easy to sell

I like that the 4000 is removable with my Miata, because with a softtop convertible, the less attention it's attracting the better. Replacing a slashed top is a lot of money I don't want to spend.

Is this a US thing? Slashed soft tops (both myself and my wife own soft tops) and stereo theft aren't really big issue in the UK.

It seems it's much easier to smash a window then slash a soft top if you really want to get into it, but my point still stands, expensive stereos which take a longer to remove then simple "pocketable" items aren't really the things thieves go for nowadays

Is this a US thing? Slashed soft tops (both myself and my wife own soft tops) and stereo theft aren't really big issue in the UK.

It seems it's much easier to smash a window then slash a soft top if you really want to get into it, but my point still stands, expensive stereos which take a longer to remove then simple "pocketable" items aren't really the things thieves go for nowadays

I agree completely, I'm just saying better safe than sorry with the car I love. And to boot it is by miles cheaper than the 8000, which is the only other radio I would get personally.

Edit: and to clarify, no I've never had my car broken into, or been damaged by a would be attacker, but I prefer safe than sorry.

Another thought on the Inbuilt v CarPlay Nav which occurred on my 2 hour commute home today...

The inbuilt Nav uses traffic info which enables dynamic rerouting and works very well (I was rerouted a number of times due to traffic congestion and accidents enroute. Not sure this is something you'd get with CarPlay?

Also user customisable POIs, fuel prices etc

I know all these things can be provided by other 3rd party apps, but it's nice to have just the one interface with it all built in.

Another thought on the Inbuilt v CarPlay Nav which occurred on my 2 hour commute home today...

The inbuilt Nav uses traffic info which enables dynamic rerouting and works very well (I was rerouted a number of times due to traffic congestion and accidents enroute. Not sure this is something you'd get with CarPlay?

Also user customisable POIs, fuel prices etc

I know all these things can be provided by other 3rd party apps, but it's nice to have just the one interface with it all built in.

Apple maps has live traffic data provided by Tom Tom and Inrix. Where I live in the us there is often only one road to get to anywhere, so the whole reroute thing based on traffic is not something I've ever actually been able to take advantage of, but yes apple maps supports that.

The gas prices thing is interesting. I own the 4000 for my Miata, so I have no experience with the built in Nav to have an opinion, but I plan on putting the 8000 in my Mazda 3 when the finances are more stable. I know I'll play with it when I do.

Ah, interesting. I've never used Apple Maps for actual routing, usually it's just for when I want a quick check on where something is, or roughly how long it'll take while I'm sat in the house.

If you do a search for it there's a load of people questioning whether it actually works as it seems no-one has ever seen it offer to reroute!

I assume it uses a different system as the traffic info on the inbuilt uses the TMC traffic service in the UK which is sent over the FM airwaves using RDS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

I'm as equally anticipating AVICSYNC being released as much as CarPlay to see how it all links with the Nav

Every single car navigation system that I have ever used is a pain in the rear to enter destination information in. City, street and number (seem backwards to me). As a developer myself, I can understand why the did it this way. Faster searches. Siri and Android voice uses a more nature language. So I just have to say the address naturally, and it routes. Apple maps has improved greatly over the last year and is on par (in my opinion) with Google maps for car navigation. I assume that CarPlay apps for gas prices and POI will mesh nicely with the base Apple maps. Plus, the maps on our phones are more up to date than the fixed databases on our head units.

Hopefully, we will see. The one thing it can never solve is what happens when you're in the middle of nowhere without a mobile signal ;)

Siri won't talk to you and the map display is blank...

This is why I have the Nav Free App in my phone, and I will never disconnect the AppRadio connections. Nav Free is locally stored open street maps data. 

Every single car navigation system that I have ever used is a pain in the rear to enter destination information in. City, street and number (seem backwards to me). As a developer myself, I can understand why the did it this way. Faster searches. Siri and Android voice uses a more nature language. So I just have to say the address naturally, and it routes. Apple maps has improved greatly over the last year and is on par (in my opinion) with Google maps for car navigation. I assume that CarPlay apps for gas prices and POI will mesh nicely with the base Apple maps. Plus, the maps on our phones are more up to date than the fixed databases on our head units.

You know what I would love? A locally stored maps head unit that updates relevant mapping data whenever you have an internet connection. So let's say your car lives in your car garage. None of the Radios actually "turn off" when your car is off. They still have an ultra low power mode that maintains the clock, and relevant settings. Put an ultra low power computer system that even when the head unit is off is updating data every night from lets say 12-2 am. So when you then take the car for a drive you have updated maps that is accurate for POI and routes. 

Ah, interesting. I've never used Apple Maps for actual routing, usually it's just for when I want a quick check on where something is, or roughly how long it'll take while I'm sat in the house.

If you do a search for it there's a load of people questioning whether it actually works as it seems no-one has ever seen it offer to reroute!

I assume it uses a different system as the traffic info on the inbuilt uses the TMC traffic service in the UK which is sent over the FM airwaves using RDS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

I'm as equally anticipating AVICSYNC being released as much as CarPlay to see how it all links with the Nav

That's the same system that many nav apps use here in the states. Again, no experience with NEX units on this, but my girl's new 3's built in Nav does. 

Thank you all so much for replying to my post. All of you have brought up very important points for the 8000 and for the 4000. You all have brought me to not only know but understand why you choose the way you did.

Also the discussion on Apple Maps has been very interesting, as my only experience with Apple Maps is when I used my friend's phone when it came out, and it was horrible. The last iPhone that I have personally owned was an iPhone 4, and I chose to leave the iPhone community because of the particular and overly restrictive design of the iOS. At that point, I decided to leave the iPhone community to join the Android community. Unfortunately I would need to wait for Android Auto to come to fruition before I am going to be able to use my phone as part of my stereo. Therefore, I will need a head unit with navigation. I appologise that I did not forewarn that I am an Android user, however the discussion in regards to Apple Maps and Apple CarPlay has been very informative and intriguing. 

Just to recap (the following information has been compiled with the consideration that the functionality of the 6000/7000/8000 NEX are exactly the same except for screen size and other differences listed):

4000 NEX

Pros:

Most economical

Removable Screen

Apple CarPlay ready

7" non-capacitive screen

Display is not as bright as 8000 NEX

Cons:

No Navigation - designed to be used with Apple CarPlay

5000 NEX

Pros:

Navigation included

Removable hard buttons

Apple CarPlay ready

Cons:

Loss of HDMI connector in the rear

More expensive than 4000 NEX

Less desirable design (subjective)

Hard buttons feel cheap (subjective)

Neither:

6.1" non-capacitive screen

Utilises MicroSD card

6000 NEX

Pros:

Navigation included

Removable hard buttons

HDMI included (compared to 5000 NEX)

Apple CarPlay ready

Cons:

Less desirable design (subjective)

Hard buttons feel cheap (subjective)

Neither:

Middle range device for a middle range price (Half way between 4000 NEX and 8000 NEX - CDN prices)

Utilises MicroSD card (up to 32 GB)

7000 NEX

Pros:

7" screen

Navigation included

Motorized screen

Utilises full size SD Card 

More desirable design (subjective)

Hard buttons has better tactile feel (subjective)

Apple CarPlay ready

Cons:

Non-capacitive screen (compared to 8000 NEX)

Price is set too high compared to 8000 NEX

No removable components for security

8000 NEX (Flagship model)

Pros:

7" Capacitive screen (allows for multi-touch for zooming and other functions)

Apple CarPlay Ready

More desirable design (subjective)

Hard buttons has better tactile feel (subjective)

Navigation included

Utilises full size SD card

Brightest screen available in the NEX line-up

Cons:

Most expensive

No removable components for security

Please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect about any of the information posted. If you can, please verify that I am correct in saying that the screens are not removable on the 8000 NEX, and if possible the 7000 NEX as well.

Once again, thank you all so much for your participation in this thread. Your input has been very informative and has provided me with the insight require to make an informed decision.

For the 4000NEX you forgot Pros:

Remote control

SD card slot

Optional Navigation with Avic-u260

That's the same system that many nav apps use here in the states. Again, no experience with NEX units on this, but my girl's new 3's built in Nav does. 

Yeah thought it might be, still it can't be the same system that Apple or Google use for traffic data as they aren't linked to RDS signals,

For the 4000NEX you forgot Pros:

Remote control

SD card slot

Optional Navigation with Avic-u260

Is it true that you lose the HDMI though if you plug in the optional Nav? That would leave you with a choice of AppRadio / Mirroring OR Nav? Seems a bit of bad design that...:/