AVIC411.com

Pioneer just tweeted about carplay

Guess they are now officially playing the PR game of "get mad at apple, not us"

"Hi everyone! We know you are all eagerly awaiting the Apple CarPlay firmware (we are too!). More and more buzz... fb.me/1PLDBaT6v"

I just hope this doesn't bite them in the ass. Apple has been mean to partners that gave it unwanted press before.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or they could just be working the social marketing machine...building hype to a fever pitch prior to release. Personally, I don't really see anything back-handish about their tweet. If you wanted to read into it -- which you probably are because, like me and everyone else, you're thinking, "C'MOOOON, Apple!!!" -- I can see how one might perceive it that way. :)

Pioneer needs either to get this thing released or give an actual, official explanation about what's going on. Enough with the little tweets and hashtags. I think the mood is turning from genuine anticipation to general frustration at this point. Early summer has come and gone. Treat your customers with a little respect.

Pioneer needs either to get this thing released or give an actual, official explanation about what's going on. Enough with the little tweets and hashtags. I think the mood is turning from genuine anticipation to general frustration at this point. Early summer has come and gone. Treat your customers with a little respect.

Wrong!  Summer is halfway through as of August 6th, since Summer ends on September 22nd this year.  Therefore, we're about halfway through "early summer".  Early Summer has not in fact come and gone. 

I'm not being a dick or anything, just putting myself in the shoes of Pioneer and I thought I'd go ahead and assume that that would be their line of defense.  Given the trajectory of the sun and the moon, and how we mark our calendars, unfortunately they would be correct.

You can play with the language all you want, but the fact that it is summer and the ONLY release date we still have is "early summer" shows a lack of respect for the customers who are doing things like buying new head units in anticipation of CarPlay. At the very least, give us an idea if it's going to be days or weeks until the release. But relying on "the trajectory of the sun and the moon" as a release window, as you seem to approve of, is nothing short of disregard for Pioneer's customers.

Forget "Early Summer" or any other date. Apple has this and they will release it when they want it released. It's obvious this is not up to Pioneer. Apple is not going to release Carplay unless it feels comfortable that the apps are ready to go. Especially Maps. If they end up having a bad GPS app it would be disastrous. If it happens this month, expect it on the very last day of the month. 

Maybe if Pioneer's own interfaces weren't so buggy and unusable, people wouldn't be so desperate for CarPlay. Getting Appradio mode to work is like playing the lottery, and Appradio Live is a garish mess. I love my AVH4000NEX, but I'd just really like to do things like use navigation and control my music without going through 25 steps and hoping I don't have to restart everything.

Wow... 

I work as a product manager for a CE company, and I feel like telling consumers like you to have a little respect for the hard-working people at companies like Pioneer and Apple (people just like me...and perhaps you), and stop acting like such an entitled @ss.

If you bought a NEX HU in anticipation of CarPlay, then you knew it would be released "early summer." If you didn't, then you should have done a little more basic research. The NEX receivers were never launched with CarPlay as a feature -- not even as a future feature. CarPlay was announced in partnership with Apple well after their announcement. What Pioneer is selling to customers are products with the features originally announced at launch. Pioneer has had to shell out serious cash to launch CarPlay as a feature, so just be happy that it's coming, that you'll be one of the first to be able to take advantage of it, and that they haven't jacked the prices of NEX units.

Get a grip. Don't be a d*ck.

Wow...

I work as a product manager for a CE company, and I feel like telling consumers like you to have a little respect for the hard-working people at companies like Pioneer and Apple (people just like me...and perhaps you), and stop acting like such an entitled @ss.

If you bought a NEX HU in anticipation of CarPlay, then you knew it would be released "early summer." If you didn't, then you should have done a little more basic research. The NEX receivers were never launched with CarPlay as a feature -- not even as a future feature. CarPlay was announced in partnership with Apple well after their announcement. What Pioneer is selling to customers are products with the features originally announced at launch. Be happy they haven't changed the price; if you think Pioneer hasn't had to shell out serious cash to add CarPlay as a feature, you're dreaming. Be happy they haven't jacked the prices of NEX units, and get a grip.

Don't be a d*ck.

Don't go down that rabbit hole with the NEX line my friend. Dangerous stuff. Everyone with the 5000 and up still can't use their connected features in their nav because the avicsync app still isn't available for their radios. That was supposed to be a launch feature. The manual even states how to connect using the non existent app.

Edit: also as far as car play is concerned, pioneer is advertising the hell out of Carplay right now for a feature we can't use yet. Their Facebook is full of teasers showing the feature working. They are getting their users worked up. Take Alpine as a comparison. They have pledged future support of Carplay. Do you see them shoving the non existent feature in the user's face? Pioneer is teasing the the point of obnoxiousness and the users are frustrated as a result. Get off your CE high horse.

So, a customer who simply wants to know when a product will be released is an "entitled @ss"? Wow, you must be a real pleasure to your clients. And, if you want advice about not being a d*ck, tell Pioneer to stop tagging unrelated (read: Appradio Live) Facebook posts with a CarPlay hashtag just so people will read them.

And I love how you think we should all feel sorry for Pioneer because they had to "shell out serious cash" to feature CarPlay. Awww....poor company. Who knew spending money was a part of doing business? But you're right, I should just sit here and "be happy" that a promised feature is coming, at some point, sometime in the future. Again, your clients must be thrilled with your sense of urgency. I can only imagine what a whiz you are at deadlines. I'd love to see your clients' responses when you told them, "you want the work finished? Be happy! The job is coming! Stop being a d*ck!" A true master of business, you are.

And yes, I knew full well that the update would be released early summer. And since then, no other information has been forthcoming, even though it is early summer. Wanting an update of that basic information is hardly a feeling of entitlement. Seems like you're the one who needs to get a grip, and also extract your head from Pioneer's a**.

Don't go down that rabbit hole with the NEX line my friend. Dangerous stuff. Everyone with the 5000 and up still can't use their connected features in their nav because the avicsync app still isn't available for their radios. That was supposed to be a launch feature. The manual even states how to connect using the non existent app.

Edit: also as far as car play is concerned, pioneer is advertising the hell out of Carplay right now for a feature we can't use yet. Their Facebook is full of teasers showing the feature working. They are getting their users worked up. Take Alpine as a comparison. They have pledged future support of Carplay. Do you see them shoving the non existent feature in the user's face? Pioneer is teasing the the point of obnoxiousness and the users are frustrated as a result. Get off your CE high horse.

Fair point about the other features. I feel my point about CarPlay still stands, though: While I can understand people's frustrations about Pioneer's marketing tactics, for people to get all holier than thou and demanding about CarPlay dates -- as if either Pioneer or Apple owes them something -- is ridiculous and, yes, "entitled."

Does Pioneer need to fix/release features promised at launch? Absolutely. Is their marketing obnoxious? Sure... Did they announce or launch NEX units with CarPlay as a feature? No. Have they missed their launch window? No. (The first day of summer was June 21st -- it's still pretty "early" summer.) Are they working on getting it into customers' hands? Yes. Companies like Apple work by a controlled process, and Pioneer are working with them. I see no indication that Pioneer is dragging its collective feet. If they were hyping and teasing left and right while doing NOTHING to bring CarPlay to fruition, I could see people being peeved, but Apple has and is testing their firmware. To get all "So and so had better give us dates because WE'RE the CUSTOMER, damn it!!!"? Now...THAT is obnoxious! :)

Wow... 

I work as a product manager for a CE company, and I feel like telling consumers like you to have a little respect for the hard-working people at companies like Pioneer and Apple (people just like me...and perhaps you), and stop acting like such an entitled @ss.

If you bought a NEX HU in anticipation of CarPlay, then you knew it would be released "early summer." If you didn't, then you should have done a little more basic research. The NEX receivers were never launched with CarPlay as a feature -- not even as a future feature. CarPlay was announced in partnership with Apple well after their announcement. What Pioneer is selling to customers are products with the features originally announced at launch. Pioneer has had to shell out serious cash to launch CarPlay as a feature, so just be happy that it's coming, that you'll be one of the first to be able to take advantage of it, and that they haven't jacked the prices of NEX units.

Get a grip. Don't be a d*ck.

Real people and real companies stick to deadlines and communicate with their customers. if had gone through HS and maybe Community College you would surely know this. secondly if you had done a little research you would realize that Pioneer had advertised features at the launch of their NEX line that were not included or communicated that these features would not work till a ambiguous date in the sky!

hows this for a example. you purchase a apple pie for Thanksgiving. i bake you the apple pie and deliver it. i didn't tell you there would be no apples in it. after a few calls to customer service i tell you i will deliver the apples and whip cream sometime before the end of July? the whip cream is very hard to make but, funny thing is no one asked for the whip cream! 

So, a customer who simply wants to know when a product will be released is an "entitled @ss"? Wow, you must be a real pleasure to your clients. And, if you want advice about not being a d*ck, tell Pioneer to stop tagging unrelated (read: Appradio Live) Facebook posts with a CarPlay hashtag just so people will read them.

And I love how you think we should all feel sorry for Pioneer because they had to "shell out serious cash" to feature CarPlay. Awww....poor company. Who knew spending money was a part of doing business? But you're right, I should just sit here and "be happy" that a promised feature is coming, at some point, sometime in the future. Again, your clients must be thrilled with your sense of urgency. I can only imagine what a whiz you are at deadlines. I'd love to see your clients' responses when you told them, "you want the work finished? Be happy! The job is coming! Stop being a d*ck!" A true master of business, you are.

And yes, I knew full well that the update would be released early summer. And since then, no other information has been forthcoming, even though it is early summer. Wanting an update of that basic information is hardly a feeling of entitlement. Seems like you're the one who needs to get a grip, and also extract your head from Pioneer's a**.

"I knew full well that the update would be released early summer. And since then, no other information has been forthcoming, even though it is early summer. Wanting an update of that basic information is hardly a feeling of entitlement."

Do you have a "right" to be informed about the progress of, say, the fix for a "broken" feature or the release date of a promised feature that was never released? Absolutely. We're all very excited about and chomping at the bit for CarPlay, but Pioneer owes you nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Just about EVERY "big boy" company has a policy of not divulging internal product development milestones to the general public.

It's still early summer, btw.