AVIC411.com

Pioneer just tweeted about carplay

A company is not going to give a date and miss the deadline due to unforeseen circumstances. Any glitch or last minute bug that affects the release will be seen as a negative. They feel comfortable with saying this summer. Given that window something should happen between now and September. It'll be here. I'm sure the firmware update is more than just Apple stuff, so Pioneer will want it out as soon as possible. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, we could debate this all day, but the difference between you and me is that you're happy to sit back and take what's given to you while I, as a paying customer, want information. End of story. Good luck with your approach; I'll stick with mine.

Real people and real companies stick to deadlines and communicate with their customers. if had gone through HS and maybe Community College you would surely know this. secondly if you had done a little research you would realize that Pioneer had advertised features at the launch of their NEX line that were not included or communicated that these features would not work till a ambiguous date in the sky!

hows this for a example. you purchase a apple pie for Thanksgiving. i bake you the apple pie and deliver it. i didn't tell you there would be no apples in it. after a few calls to customer service i tell you i will deliver the apples and whip cream sometime before the end of July? the whip cream is very hard to make but, funny thing is no one asked for the whip cream! 

I agree that I was out of place regarding the features that Pioneer DID announce with the NEX units and did NOT deliver on. Do customers have the right to at least know that these shortfalls have been acknowledged? Yes. Does Pioneer need to commit to fixing broken features or releasing announced features? Absolutely.

Regarding CarPlay, however, which is what the original whining was all about...Neither Pioneer nor Apple owes anyone anything in terms of product development. This kind of information is largely held by most companies -- car companies, consumer electronics companies, pick-an-industry companies -- to be confidential to their internal processes and is only shared, even internally, on a need-to-know basis.

They've said feature X is coming and they've provided a time-frame for its release. Have they missed it? No. Is their marketing getting obnoxious? Sure. (Who's doesn't?) Still, this "Pioneer had better give us dates because WE'RE the CUSTOMER, damn it!!!" is about as obnoxious as it gets.

Dude, we could debate this all day, but the difference between you and me is that you're happy to sit back and take what's given to you while I, as a paying customer, want information. End of story. Good luck with your approach; I'll stick with mine.

Exactly. You WANT.

Because you feel like you're entitled to it (information).

Guess what? You're not. I know. It hurts.

But hey...you bought an iPhone. Go tell Apple that you demand a release date for iOS...because you WANT it.

Please...

:?

Sorry man, but a smiley face at this point isn't going to make your posts sound any less stupid than they've been. I think at least three people here have exposed the many errors in your thinking. Now, we're just waiting for you to catch up.

Sorry man, but a smiley face at this point isn't going to make your posts sound any less stupid than they've been. I think at least three people here have exposed the many errors in your thinking. Now, we're just waiting for you to catch up.

I tried.

Some people...

I don't care whether it's CE or aerospace (where I've been a project engineer for 16 years), everything is on schedule until it isn't.  It all comes down to risk mitigation.  The fact that no matter how hard one tries, you can't foresee every hurdle in the path, be it extended design time, failures during development, and even waiting for customer approval.  Margins are built into schedules and it often isn't enough.  A comparison to apple pie is laughable.  Instead of the promise to make an apple pie, try a promise to make the FIRST apple pie.  And even that is a laughable comparison.

Listen to all of the wailing stemming from missing the purposely ambiguous release of "Early Summer".  Imagine if Pioneer had actually given a firm release date and missed that.  This place would be coming unglued!

AvicSync isn't ready yet?  Did anyone ever stop to think that resources previously devoted to AvicSync were reallocated to work on CarPlay?  People bemoan Pioneer's "crappy firmware" but then are fired up because they haven't released yet.  In all of my experience, people are a lot more forgiving of quality product that was late as opposed to garbage product that was on time.  (And I highly doubt that AvicSync is going to be anything to knock your socks off, either.  Reference: Pioneer's old MSN Direct tuner)

You want CarPlay.  I want CarPlay.  We all want CarPlay.  Pioneer wants to give us CarPlay.  A watched pot never boils.  If that's not soon enough, go ahead and slap an Alpine CarPlay unit in your vehicle instead, like that will get you CarPlay any sooner.  I'm happy to have my NEX unit's functionality even without CarPlay, something I can't have with an Alpine unit that doesn't even exist yet.

Every comment that Koneill made in this thread is spot on.

Sent an email to Pioneer about the lack of speed camera data in the 8000 (F60DAB in the UK), this was their response:

Good Morning

The speed camera information is not yet available for this unit, it will be
in the next few weeks, it will be available when the Car Play App is here,
which is the middle of this month.

Hope this helps.

So seems like they have a target of "middle of the month"...we'll see!

While I'm glad to have a target date, this is exactly what I have a problem with. Why does one random customer get this info while everyone else has to sit and wonder? I'm glad to have a better idea of the release, but why do we have to find out about it in such a haphazard way?