AVIC411.com

Pioneer just tweeted about carplay

It's a little worrying that they haven't announced any sort of CarPlay API yet, since 2014's WWDC has already come and gone. There's a reasonable chance that the earliest they would release one is next year.

I just hope that CarPlay doesn't turn into the AppleTV—a ridiculous amount of potential hampered by holding back too long. I'm still waiting for 3rd-party apps for the ATV, and the current design (the puck) has been out for almost 4 years. I think that there's a lot of similarity between ATV and CarPlay.

• They are both highly specialized interfaces, with limited (specialized) input.
  • Both can be used as a sort of projected head-end for an iPhone
  • Both are (currently) built using applications almost exclusively designed by Apple
  • Both are key components in further integrating our digital lives
With any luck, the last point doesn't end up being "Both are unavailble to 3rd party devs". Time will tell, that's for sure :-)

I honestly have no clue why they haven't opened up an API for the Apple TV. They should have opened it from version 2.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little worrying that they haven't announced any sort of CarPlay API yet, since 2014's WWDC has already come and gone.  There's a reasonable chance that the earliest they would release one is next year.

I just hope that CarPlay doesn't turn into the AppleTV—a ridiculous amount of potential hampered by holding back too long.  I'm still waiting for 3rd-party apps for the ATV, and the current design (the puck) has been out for almost 4 years.  I think that there's a lot of similarity between ATV and CarPlay.

• They are both highly specialized interfaces, with limited (specialized) input.
  • Both can be used as a sort of projected head-end for an iPhone
  • Both are (currently) built using applications almost exclusively designed by Apple
  • Both are key components in further integrating our digital lives
With any luck, the last point doesn't end up being "Both are unavailble to 3rd party devs".  Time will tell, that's for sure  :-)

Apple does have a set of CarPlay API's, but they are limiting access to a small, select group of companies/developers right now. That is probably a wise move as they roll out version 1.0.

Spotify isn't owned by Apple so as pointed out they have opened the APIs to some selected companies. What else will come down the line remains to be seen.

Privately they have. They haven't opened it like the standard apple process that an app is approved for the AppStore any app can do it without any further apple blessing. Apple is being cautious.

It will be some time. I think probably about a year. Apple first has to feel comfortable with allowing car apps that just do simple music to not distract drivers before they allow complex mapping or other apps to go on the screen.

I think if we do see any type of announcement to a larger group of third party app devs it will likely be at WWDC 2015 or the next big iOS announcement. Car Play would have been up and running long enough and be successful enough for Apple to expand further. We shall see. For now though I just want them to get it out already.

still nothing huh..  :|

I just got this today as a response to an email I'd sent:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

There is not an exact ETA. It was announced as Summertime and has not changed.

I would expect it to be released within the next month or so. Registered owners should receive an e-mail notification.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Within the next month or so." Hopefully, that middle-of-the-month timeframe will still be accurate, and it won't be closer to the "or so" part.....

• 4 weeks later...

Guess they are now officially playing the PR game of "get mad at apple, not us"

"Hi everyone! We know you are all eagerly awaiting the Apple CarPlay firmware (we are too!). More and more buzz... fb.me/1PLDBaT6v"

I just hope this doesn't bite them in the ass. Apple has been mean to partners that gave it unwanted press before.

Remember Pioneer's tweet hyping CarPlay over five weeks ago? Good times, good times . . .