AVIC411.com

What updates besides Carplay will be in firmware upgrade?

I know right now the Pioneers are not truly compatible with the Idatalink features. It works like any other radio when connected to an Idatalink Maestro. What my fear is......I buy the 8000 and find out the firmware to upgrade it to compatibility either never materializes or is very minimal at best.

I honestly say on all counts wait.

None of the radios from any manufacturer have been listed as supporting android auto.

Only the Pioneer NEX line has been confirmed to support Carplay (with a future update)

Alpine has said nothing about when and how the future Carplay support will be arriving.

None of the other manufactures have been listed as Carplay providers.

So in my opinion, wait. Unless your radio is broken, this is a very good time to be patient. By Christmas things will be much more flushed out and you can get yourself a nice present.

Well for me right now Carplay is a non factor. I won't take my phone out of my pocket to hook it up to a Nav unit, so until they will allow Bluetooth Carplay or even an Android Carplay with Bluetooth (I have a Galaxy 3), Carplay is not for me.

As of right now most are waiting on Pioneer to see what's in this firmware upgrade besides Carplay.......Bug Fixes, Idatalink support, maybe a few more features???

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Idatalink and they say they get several calls a day about what Pioneer's firmware support will be. As far as GM vehicles are concerned, it will mostly just add OEM Sirius/XM support to the NEX units, with a few more things such as digital fader on factory amps and a other minor things. They will not add any vehicle info or car data.......But I think most of you knew that already.

I want to get one of these but this unit is starting to seem a little half assed until the firmware upgrade comes.......and that may end up being late. No Avicsync and no Idatalink support right now. Support for either or both might end up late as hell. Remember only six months until the next CES and the new units are announced.........And these forgotten.