AVIC411.com

Options/Suggestions for Z1 interfacing with Ford factory components?

Hello all,

Been away from the forums for at least a couple years now - boy, the site sure has changed it's look...

I recently bought an '07 Expedition with factory sub/amp and a rear seat entertainment system (overhead TV) and I'm looking to transfer my head unit over.

I've been looking at a few options to put my Z1 (updated the hard drive few years ago, so essentially it's a Z3 - with a Z1 badge)

I've come across two options: PAC's C2R-FRD1 adapter, and also a brand called "AXXESS" markets an "AFDI-RSE-01".

Which one is recommended?  Are they both functionally equal?

Secondary question: what about my steering wheel controls? I know PAC makes an adapter for this functionality as well, as well as a few other manufacturers with different comparable modules; will any of these work for my vehicle?  Suggestions for this are welcome as well.

thanks, keep the information flowing....love the site.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Been away from the forums for at least a couple years now - boy, the site sure has changed it's look...

I recently bought an '07 Expedition with factory sub/amp and a rear seat entertainment system (overhead TV) and I'm looking to transfer my head unit over.

I've been looking at a few options to put my Z1 (updated the hard drive few years ago, so essentially it's a Z3 - with a Z1 badge)

I've come across two options: PAC's C2R-FRD1 adapter, and also a brand called "AXXESS" markets an "AFDI-RSE-01".

Which one is recommended?  Are they both functionally equal?

Secondary question: what about my steering wheel controls? I know PAC makes an adapter for this functionality as well, as well as a few other manufacturers with different comparable modules; will any of these work for my vehicle?  Suggestions for this are welcome as well.

thanks, keep the information flowing....love the site.

-Steve

AXXESS also makes a Steering Wheel Control adapter.  I've had both the PAC and the AXXESS one, and the AXXESS one was better in 2 ways:  It didn't require programming (It automatically knows that you have a Ford AND a Pioneer head unit) and there was no delay between button press and head unit response.   I think the AXXESS one is on Amazon for less than 50 bucks now.  The install was easy.  Looks intimidating at first as there are a lot of wires int eh bundle, but you will only need the power, ground and one other to connect to the vehicle harness.  Also you need to ground one of the wires in the vehicle harness. (My vehicle is a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac and I have an AVIC-Z1 updated to Z3 with a Toomey drive in it and bypass done)