AVIC411.com

It's as quick to steal your car which is worth more than your stereo.

If there's some technical reason why Pioneer couldn't make the capacitive screen removable (perhaps being glass it's more susceptible to damage) the I'd much rather have that then a removable plastic screen.

I suspect that it is the tilt mechanism that poses the problem. Making it tiltable, rigid, and detachable is tough. Basically a "pick any two" situation. Other brands have similar issues where adding a tilt mechanism removes the ability to detatch the faceplate.

And depending on your car, it may not be as easy to steal as the radio itself. Chipped keys add to the difficulty. But stereos are still just as easy to take these days as they were before immobilizers and other anti-theft measures.

I suspect that it is the tilt mechanism that poses the problem. Making it tiltable, rigid, and detachable is tough. Basically a "pick any two" situation. Other brands have similar issues where adding a tilt mechanism removes the ability to detatch the faceplate.

And depending on your car, it may not be as easy to steal as the radio itself. Chipped keys add to the difficulty. But stereos are still just as easy to take these days as they were before immobilizers and other anti-theft measures.

My 4000 has full tilt capability, and the screen is detachable. I think the screen is pretty stable.

I have the 4000 and I would rather have a non-detachable faceplate for two reasons:

1. It's wobblier than my avhx5500bhs display was. Making it detachable means it feels like it's not as firmly attached to the car when I poke at it.

2. I have a passcode set on my 4000. If a thief steals it it's a brick. I know I almost certainly wouldn't get it back but there's some satisfaction in that and I've never had a radio stolen from a car (yet) anyway.

You can set a passcode on the 8000 too.

Look at it this way, a thief takes the risk because he wants a quick sale, usually an opportunist, pro thieves aren't after your stereo, they're after your car!

A large double din unit isn't going to be worth his time, unless they also manage to get the mounting kit / wiring looms etc then they "might" get a sale on eBay etc, but who in their right mind would buy a $1000 unit at a knock off price? We'd go and buy one with warranty from an installer. There's no market and therefore little reward for the thief, they'd much rather have the iPod in your glovebox than your $1000 stereo.

My 4000 has full tilt capability, and the screen is detachable. I think the screen is pretty stable.

Huh, I missed that. I assume the tilt mechanism is entirely part of the detachable screen?

It is a bit weird that the 4000 manual mentions nothing about the screen being tiltable, you'd think they'd advertise that! (Found it)

1. It's wobblier than my avhx5500bhs display was. Making it detachable means it feels like it's not as firmly attached to the car when I poke at it.

It's one of the reasons I didn't like the DNX890 much, and it wasn't a detachable screen. The 8000 in comparison is like a rock when tilted. Sony's 7" head units are very stable as well.

They sold that for double dins at one point. lol where did I see that?

Edit: found one! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331184492170?lpid=82

I just bought it, thank you for posting this.  This is awesome.  I love decoys and deception as a theft deterrent technique.  If someone sees something this cheap-looking, they decide it isn't worth the effort and move on.  

You might need to modify it slightly as, depending on how it's mounted, the "sucker" may not reach the screen as it sits too flush. There's some info online about it and people modded it to use Velcro tabs instead.

They only cost 5 bucks. I wasn't expecting high build quality.

You might need to modify it slightly as, depending on how it's mounted, the "sucker" may not reach the screen as it sits too flush. There's some info online about it and people modded it to use Velcro tabs instead.

As long as it can sit in the recess that my unit is mounted in, that's all I need.    8)