AVIC411.com

Phone mirroring on 8000NEX - wirelessly?

I was browsing the net and saw an ad for Google Chromecast.  Got me thinking....

With the 8000 having an HDMI port, is it possible to mirror a phone wirelessly... no cable, no rooting.

So I got to looking for Chromecast alternatives.  There appears to be quite a few out there with various pros and cons...  decided to start a topic on it to get comments, experiences, and most of all — feedback.

________________________________________________________________________________

In my browsing, I ran across a device dubbed Tronsmart T1000.  It claims to support AirPlay, Miracast, EzCast, and DLNA.  No [direct] cables and not limited to one OS or device connector type.  Also supports HDMI unit as second independent screen.

WOW! (However, I reserve the right to rescind that sentiment :))

http://www.tronsmart.com/Item/70

________________________________________________________________________________

The one feature that I haven't been able to find in a wireless HDMI device is touchscreen support... :(

As I understand it at this point, the Tronsmart T1000 uses wireless LAN (wifi, mifi, etc.).

But don't a lot of phones have the ability to be a mifi?  I understand it may require rooting some phones where service providers charge for this ability as a service... i.e. to do it free of provider charge.

In my case, I already have three hotspots.  Only one active at present, and it is pay as you go plan but not a monthly type.  Purchase data amount and its good 'til used up. I activate one of the other ones when I'm working away from home for extended periods.  My phone is a Moto X with Republic Wireless and I'm on the $5/mo wifi plan (unlimited calls, text, data over wifi... but I have to pay for the wifi).  What it amounts to, a mobile hotspot is not a problem for me.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to just talk about the Tronsmart.  As I understand it, a Chromecast and the off-shoot EZCast dongles communicate directly with Android 4.2 devices.  Supposedly the user just goes into the display settings on the phone and enables "Cast Screen".  I checked my phone and it has that option.

Another device I looked into is called Biggifi.  It actually has its own processor and Android OS and creates its own wifi IIRC... and you just use your phone as the touch screen controller, sorta like a gesture pad... which you seem to have to do with these other streaming devices anyway (unless someone knows of one that supports HDMI touchscreen).  While there are upsides to it, the main downside I see is there is no visual feedback on the phone, and I'm not quite sure how typing works... may have to slide the cursor around and remotely tap on phone to hit a key, IDK.